this whole internet-based system is a piece of crap

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
thegrandman

this whole internet-based system is a piece of crap

Post by thegrandman »

Single camera set up with memory card. Showing as a connected device to my wifi system, records to memory card. THE issues are internet related..... this whole internet / wifi connected system is the most convoluted thing I've ever tried to operate, and I'm no novice to computers.

HISTORY:
Added camera with serial number to Amcrest view website ( http://amcrestview.com/ ), login with with user name and password... login shows live view and a playback option BUT no controls to change camera settings, etc. Then there is ANOTHER site: the AmCrest Cloud page, which I quickly gave up on cause it messed up the camera settings on exit!!! I've since deleted my camera from that site altogether.

Then there is YET ANOTHER SITE which is the IP address of the camera (typed directly into browser, WHICH APPARENTLY HAS TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER - Chrome doesn't work cause it asks me to download the extension --> everytime). When this site works, it USUALLY brings up a page that has controls and playback options..... this is how I can review my recordings, delete recordings, change camera settings, etc. BUT ACCESS TO THIS PAGE IS FREQUENTLY BLOCKED and I get: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage "

THIS IS SO CONFUSING. WHAT am i doing wrong? WHY so many websites? WHY is there no way to easily access the camera controls, the playback, and the cloud recordings with ONE simple website? How can I fix this thing so that the internet-based system is actually useful to me?
ISPY

Re: this whole internet-based system is a piece of crap

Post by ISPY »

AmcrestView: You can login and view your cameras from any computer with an internet connection. All you have to remember is the username and password.

AmcrestCloud: If you're not planning on using cloud service, you don't need to use AmcrestCloud.

QuickDDNS: A sort of a direct connection to the cameras, I use this most of the time. It works fine with Firefox which is what I use as a browser anyway. Your internet security software may give you a warning though. Just bypass the warning.

I also found all these ways to access the cameras rather confusing at first, but then I realized that the many ways to access your cameras is actually rather convenient. I also sometimes use Blue Iris.