The wiring is for indoors/any outdoor alternatives for "cabling?"

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
AmcrestUser47

The wiring is for indoors/any outdoor alternatives for "cabling?"

Post by AmcrestUser47 »

Hi, I've ran through 5 rolls of wiring in one certain location, kept finding broken wiring, figured out that one of our dogs has a path through that area. Spent a whole lot of extra time stapling and re-routing, only to have a "Video Loss," signal the very next day????? Are there any heavy duty cabling options for these camera-units? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
AmcrestUser47
mikedj

Re: The wiring is for indoors/any outdoor alternatives for "cabling?"

Post by mikedj »

You don't say which type of system you have and cables you are using (IP with Cat5 ethernet, analog with coax, etc.), but some general thoughts might help. It's best to route cables around areas of possible physical abrasion, but if that's not possible, consider using electrical conduit in those areas. Underground is also a possibility, but note that even though some cables are designed for indoor/outdoor use, they are not necessarily for direct burial, so you'll need to put them in watertight conduit to bury them. Also, be careful when stapling. Depending on the type of cable and the strength of the staple gun, it's possible to smash the wire too much, causing signal problems.

I hope this helps.

Mike
DmxDesigner

Re: The wiring is for indoors/any outdoor alternatives for "cabling?"

Post by DmxDesigner »

They do sell a outdoor weather proof Cat6 which I struck two feeds to my garage 5 yrs ago. It's very durable. Black in color and has some sort of sticky gel inside the outer sheath. It's many times stronger than regular indoor cat6 wire.