Resetting using Password QR code method

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Resetting using Password QR code method

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello all, So I thought I would mention something about resetting your Password if you forgot it using QR code method.

Case in point, Friend of mine has a Condo with a Amcrest NVR, and part of the Rental he gives the Pattern to the tenants and they can use the NVR while they are using the place. The last person that rented it for 7 days changed the password to the NVR and my friend tried to reset it by remote. Issue is that the code didn't come right away so he made a trip and figured when he got there he would be able to reset it.. Code came and when he went to log in screen of the NVR and clicked forgot password, Then entered the code he got there was an error.. So after a couple of tries he calls me. after a few minutes talking I figured out why he was having issues..

When you access your DVR/NVR via Remote WebUI and scan the QR code you will need to use the WebUI method for entering the code. So told him to try again from the NVR GUI this time and so he knows what I was saying I had him try to use the WebUI to enter the code. The code didn't work, taking the code and entering it in the GUI of the NVR the code worked.

Now your asking well if he was able to enter the code in the computer why didn't I have him just use the WebUI to start with.. Well that is because he didn't have a Laptop or computer there and it wasn't until he got home that he tried the WebUI.. Now your thinking ok well he already reset it so it wouldn't work! Well no the code that is sent is good for 24 hours. So when he got home I had him try the code he got for the GUI and it didn't work however the Code for the WebUI did work.. Now just because you enter the code if you don't change the password at that stage nothing changes however it did bring up the area to change password..

Thought I would pass this along in case others find they have an issue like this and I am not sure if I have wrote something about this in the past..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe