QNAP configuration

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
tombasay

QNAP configuration

Post by tombasay »

I'd like to add my IP2M-841B to QNAP, but Amcrest is not listed as a camera brand. So, that makes things a little difficult.

As I understand, this Amcrest camera is supposed to be ONVIF compliant, so there should still be a way to add this to QNAP.

Has anyone tried it? Or does tech support have details on how to configure this for use with QNAP?s

Thanks
tombasay

Re: QNAP configuration

Post by tombasay »

Aha. We have a solution! In QNAP, scroll down to ONVIF as the camera brand -- and then all is well.
Excellent.
tombasay

Post by tombasay »

Wait. Not excellent. The video quality is not acceptable. I guess ONVIF is limited -- the frame and quality options are disabled -- no way to change them from the default view, that is, I just went from 1080 to 400? And there is some kind of RSTP connection -- I suspect that is the problem. I see all the FOSCAM models are supported by QNAP -- why is AMCREST not? FOSCAM = AMCREST, right? Same company, slightly different name?
JimSchuuz

Post by JimSchuuz »

Sorry for the sarcasm here, but FOSCAM and AMCREST are not slightly different names, they are COMPLETELY different names. But in all seriousness, from what I understand they are completely different companies as well. I have devices by Foscam, Amcrest, and Baofeng - all owned by the same parent company - but they don't share any of the same programming or even design characteristics. In your case, I don't think that Amcrest is large enough of a brand to be widely supported by other developers, especially QNAP, so it is only working on the generic ONVIF standard. For the record, ONVIF is just the baseline for communication compatibility and features like HD video are over and above ONVIF.