Power supply cable length don't over run them.

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Power supply cable length don't over run them.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I have loads of cameras some I don't use much anymore and use for back up of another camera. So long while ago maybe 2018 I did a dumb video of a 10x camera and 20x zoom lens anyway I have many zoom cameras and it just happens to be one of a few from that company 10x and 12x bullet zoom huge cameras..

Well a friend of mine has a DVR that he was using a manual VF 2.8 to 12mm that I gave him 2 years ago. Cleared some trees and can see more distance told him about PTZ and should get one or at least a better automatic zoom camera. Showed him a few that Amcrest has and it would require him to upgrade his recorder as well. So I offered him to use one of my Bullet Zoom cameras, 2mp 10x zoom wouldn't work on his Amcrest DVR. So offered him some of my older 960h 10x zoom camera or a 960h box camera with a Pelco 20x zoom however the 20x wouldn't work because it requires switches. So he choose my 10x. I loaned him the power supply and told him the power can't be run like the older camera because of how much current. Well he didn't listen and today I get a call after 2 months of him using the camera. After little bit of trouble shooting over the phone I told him better I just come look. When I get there he is running a cord to the camera location.

I asked where did he have the power supply before and it was 218ft form the camera and that is why it killed the camera. Power supply for this camera is a 1.9amp 24vdc power supply. However the camera takes at most 1.3 to 1.4amps with IR on. Well it was dead. So I removed it and installed the old one he was using before at 12mm.

So I took home and lucky for me my 500 dollar camera from years gone by is now working again after taking it apart and testing things. Come to find out the weak link in that camera was at a 3 wire to 1 loom junction and crazy thing is it wasn't only 1 wire it was both power wires that was burnt up in the thing. Because of the type it is I wasn't able to fix and keep the video and RS-485 wires.

So what did I learn. No more loaning out my Cameras.

Anyway the distance he had it was over 20% voltage drop. I am just glad it didn't fry the Camera or PSU. I mean the camera does work on 24vac as well as 24vdc so other supplies I have would work just nothing in the 12vdc range. At first when I took it apart I thought the Voltage Regulator was going to be bad or the Caps. Regulator does look like it was little warmer then it should have been. However the hot spots could be just the age and hours I have had on it.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe