POE Camera not working, cable working

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Rberkeb

POE Camera not working, cable working

Post by Rberkeb »

I installed a new AMCREST MODEL: IP2M-863EW-AI PTZ camera on our church. When hooked up, the camera "reacted" by briefly spinning on its own but then nothing (no connection to NVR, no indication of power). I replaced the RJ45 jacks and tried again with no reaction. I connected a different POE camera and everything functioned as it should. Therefore, I concluded the cable and NVR are fine, but the camera is not. Any suggestions on what may have happened or better yet what to do about it? Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: POE Camera not working, cable working

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

What type of NVR? How are you trying to connect your Camera? Switch or from a POE NVR?

Also please note that a camera on POE if it isn't POE+ could connect on a Lower POE format. POE+ camera will require the POE+ format switch or NVR connection.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Rberkeb

Post by Rberkeb »

The NVR is the Amcrest NV4216E-AI. I am using Cat 6 cable directly from the POE NVR to the camera(s).
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Are you 100% sure it is Quality Cat6?

Do you have a 12v power supply you could try with it? While it won't take a 5amp I would use 5amp to just be safe. Or you could use a POE+ Switch. Don't know why however on my POE+ switch I had to turn up the Current output to get my old Amcrest PTZ to work. No way it needs 33watts but that is what I had to turn my Switch up to so I could power my 850EB. While my PTZ camera is ages old they work just fine on my 4216E-AI NVR.

Have you tried more then 1 port of the NVR? I have tried all 16 of mine for testing reasons. I would also try a different cable. Copper PURE is a MUST.. CCA will kill your camera
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so something I thought I would touch on. My guess is that you have already turned the camera back for replacement or refund. However if not and still working on trying to get it to work my guess is there was an issue with cable or connector.

Here is what I know for sure. A Amcrest 853 and above, So that is 853, 858, 1053, 863 and so on will do the dance even with a bad camera..

One of the issues on only having your NVR for power and Network connection is that you can not see if it is getting power to the camera and it is talking back to NVR/Network.. However if you had a POE+ switch or even a Switch and 12v 3amp power supply you could plug your camera into a network connection that shows ACT for the device.

So what I know. I took a 853 with bad camera out of the housing and plugged into my POE+ Switch and the housing still does the dance (No Camera Module installed in the housing)

My guess is that the Camera is dead. The Sensor board might still be good and in working order however the cameras controller board that will be the part in the Module body and attached to the camera sensor with a ribbon cable and the cable for the Zoom/Focus lens. Taking out the Module, testing the 3 test pads on the Sensor board for voltage shows that the camera sensor board is getting the right voltage to each test pads this only comes back to being an issue with the main camera board where the Memory, CPU and network controller are located.

So next stage would be someone with Schematic or background in Board Level repair will need to find out what is causing the bad board. If someone tried to install a FW package and power out before it was done then the camera will need to be Programmed by Amcrest R&D and that is going to be the hardest fault to find. If there was another issue like CCA cable then there more then likely going to be some testing that can be done to know where the bad part for camera is. However there is a lot on that little board. CPU, ROM and RAM, Network controller, buck converters and network transformer to name a few.

In your case with the 863 and that being a AI camera that is also where all that data is doing it's magic.

When it comes to working with these things. You would need to think of it like a Mac Book that cost loads of cash to buy to start with. Then if you need to repair it the cost could be what it would cost to buy a new camera and still 1/2 or 1/4 the cost to buy a new Mac Book. If the cost to make the repair for your camera was 1/2 of the cost of the device then it would be worth getting repaired. However having an issue that someone has never repaired before or no Visual Damage on board will make the cost of Repair for the camera more then the cost of buying a new one if it was out of Warranty Time. In my guess in your case it is still in the Cameras Warranty period if not in return for replacement period.. Then it will go to Ewaste (Wish they would just ship to me LOL)
Be Safe