Not all CCTV Power cables or Supplies are equal

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Not all CCTV Power cables or Supplies are equal

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So over the weekend I had a friend ask me by for some coffee and to health check of his system because he was having some issues...

After talking on the phone a little I told him it sounded to be Power Supply Related and even all of them are not as good as some others...

So I will be adding 4 pictures on this Topic..

Why did he ask me well 9 months ago I spent 3 days at a local coffee house going over some ideas with him and he picked my Brain on what I thought would work for him.. Sadly he didn't take much of what I said as a whole and because of this he had to learn the hard way...

So he has a house that is 2 story, just over 3000 sqft with a "Barn that he wanted 2 cameras out at" so we talked and I offered to help him with the Install. But because of the time he had he thought he would do it alone on his time... So I gave him all the info he needed. Giving info about cables and different things for different types of systems. He went with HD over BNC and failed to buy a few things outside of the Package. Then found some other things on ebay to fill in what was missing rather then spend the money to do things right...

Lucky for him it he didn't burn his place down while that is the Extreme bad for doing it wrong even on Low voltage things that can happen...

So I get there, I take a look at his setup.. I have to admit it was in a nice cozy place on the bottom floor away from water and on a Rack that if his heated basement would have flooded it would take long time before ever reaching his DVR... However when I get there he tells me all the cameras are running at this time most times it is 2 in barn and the 2 in this garage area. Aka his Garage and the room above his garage that are working the rest keep going out. When I get there at the security closet the power supply he is using is VERY hot to the touch here is where it comes down to him not listening to me much. He was using the Power supply that came with the 8 cameras on the 16ch DVR. However the 2 out at the barn are running on their own power supply because he couldn't get it to work from the house supply and the ones in the garage he has them on different supplies as well.

So as I told him before when we were talking about setting this up over coffee he really needed some good Siamese Cables and needed a good Power Supply for his cameras.. While that would have been good enough to be honest for all the ones close to the house the ones in the barn would have been still to far away to get good enough power over the 300 foot lines. However if he would have used some better cameras that was dual voltage and didn't require so much power to run as it is the 300 line over 24vac would have been fine for cameras that are around 1/2 an amp... 2 in the garage at just an amp don't require this much power under his use and would work fine on a normal 12v Power Distribution center or AKA CCTV Power Supply... That is because he is running some IR Blasters in the 2 locations... So he did take my advise there....

So in Short here is the issue.. His camera runs were to long for the type of power he was running the cameras on while they were ok if he was not running them over distance and then on the cheap cables that came with the system are really designed for only the cameras where most of them are only 150 or 200ma of power anyway but he used them cables for 500 to 750ma cameras that he bought in addition to the ones that came with the system... Please note if you are going to run your own system understand that Pre made cables might not be the best for your application and to be honest it is best that you buy a good Siamese cable if doing HD over coax and put on your own ends and use a real power supply not a Wall power adapter that is normally only good for 1 or 2 cameras and the Splitters that come with these supplies are not good for 8 let alone 4 cameras...

Image of the wires from the Real Siamese cable I use in my system setup to the others that was in his
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 592 times

This is from my system and this is from Siamese cable with 18awg power wires
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 592 times
This is from the kit premade wiring for BNC over coax Not good enough for much over 150 or 200ma
image3.jpg
image3.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 592 times
This is from one of the Splitters that was used for powering the cameras these go over a short 6in cable but powers the 60 or 100ft cable that is connected to the cameras and to be honest how small these are I wouldn't use them on a 20ft cable for much over 150ma plus it don't even have 2 inner jackets only 1 Not very safe
image4.jpg
image4.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Not all CCTV Power cables or Supplies are equal

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I thought I would bring in a Picture of a Dual Voltage power supply. This unit was a 16 Ch 24vac unit but I needed both voltage in my garage so I took a 12v unit by the same company and took the Power supply off that box, Took out one of the 24vac Transformers from this unit and added the 12vdc power supply it is the one on the top...

I have a Few of these systems in my CCTV setup. Most of them are 12vDc I removed this system and changed out my Power supply in my Garage for the time being to a 8 ch 12vdc system because the cameras that require 24v have been removed form my Garage line up Thought while I setup the Supply for its new location I would take a Picture of it while it is still clean looking... Once I add the 8 12v and 5 24v camera wires. It would be hard to get a good view...
20200303_071524_resized.jpg
20200303_071524_resized.jpg (294.76 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Be Safe.