Nocturnal Insects attracted to infrared light?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
amcrest168

Nocturnal Insects attracted to infrared light?

Post by amcrest168 »

nocturnal insects have triggered motion detection at night. i think some nocturnal insects are attracted to the ad110 infrared light. i highly doubt they were attracted to the blue ring light. :geek:
insects_motion.PNG
insects_motion.PNG (458 Bytes) Viewed 857 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Nocturnal Insects attracted to infrared light?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Bugs like all cameras IR lights... One reason some people use IR blasters to keep them away from the cameras...
Be Safe.
Oliverjschramm

Post by Oliverjschramm »

For a second there I thought you meant an IR blaster would repel the bugs. But you mean that if you install an IR spot light a distance away from the camera, the bugs will be drawn to it instead of the camera? Does this actually work or will they just go to both the spot light and camera? OR do you also disable the camera IR? During the summer my feed looks like it is snowing from all the gnats.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I only have this problem with the outdoor cameras connected to my NVR and rather than insects, water droplets are the worst by far. Anything from light fog through to drizzle causes constant motion activation that I just live with. I used to mistake the very smallest water droplets for midges because I thought that the erratic up, down and sideways movement I was seeing couldn't be anything other than insects.

I've become a big advocate of separate IR lighting but for it to make a real difference I suspect that you would have to switch the camera's own lights off.

It isn't a problem at all for my IP cameras which face out through windows.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Oliverjschramm

Post by Oliverjschramm »

Do you not have any issues with light reflection or glare having your cameras indoors facing out windows?
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

@Oliverjschramm - not none at all, they are all configured so that the IR lamp doesn't come on at night. They rely on the light from my outdoor cameras that are on the NVR together with additional IR illuminators that I installed fairly recently.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
patric

Post by patric »

Insects are greatly attracted to blue/green light and less attracted to amber/red light, but note I said *less*.
I have had a couple occasions where bats used the IR illumination to hunt insects, so yes, external IR illumination is about the only thing you can do if you want to use video motion detection outdoors at night.
James.S

Post by James.S »

@amcrest168

Unfortunately this is something i have seen often in support when we have customers who have devices in a very insect prone area. This will depend on a few factors such as the amount of light available in the area, if you have a brighter light in the are this will help remove a lot of the bugs from the camera as they wont be able to detect the life from the camera as much.

However in many cases where their is no light available to out shine the camera i advise customers purchase IR blasters they can put around the camera to light up the area with IR light. From here you can turn off the IR lights on the camera. Should should solve the bug issue.

Hope this helps, let us know if you continue to run into issues.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

unfortunately there is no way to turn off the ad110's infrared lights through the smart home app.
James.S

Post by James.S »

@amcrest168

Hmm let me get back to you on this.