no router

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
djnott

no router

Post by djnott »

I'm in an rv at a resort using there wifi. I have no router. I just bought the 1080p wifi camera and can't connect. help I've tried the desk top by plugging the camera into my computer but it doesn't show up.
JimSchuuz

Re: no router

Post by JimSchuuz »

I'm sorry nobody has replied before now, but I will give you the likely answer in case someone else has the same question.

The short answer is you aren't going to have much luck with a wifi camera when you don't control the network. You will usually have problems even getting it connected to their network, but if you are successful you still have to find the IP address some way. If you are lucky enough to get it connected, and find out the IP address, then you have to get around their routing security that may or may not block connections on the port your camera is using.

Connecting the camera directly to your computer with a cable will only work if:
A. you are using a crossover cable, or you have a newer computer that supports auto-MDI/MDX on the wired Ethernet adapter, AND
B. you have a DHCP server running on your computer.
Since you are even asking this type of question, I am positive you aren't running DHCP because that would require some pretty advanced knowledge.

My advice is to purchase a cheap home router, connect the camera to it by wifi and your computer to it with the Ethernet cable, and configure it that way. Then use the wifi on your computer to connect to the resort's wifi for your Internet connection. You might require some additional technical help from someone there if the resort's IP addressing scheme is the same as the default addressing on the router.