new user connection questions

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
3dprinterguy

new user connection questions

Post by 3dprinterguy »

hello brand new user and actually this is a lot more functional camera than i initially thought or configurable. it's great!

i have an IP3M-hx2 and the viewpro app on my android phone.

so what is a good way to connect to view outside my home via the internet that is relatively secure?

i currently have it setup to use amcrest DDNS. my android phone app works to view it in HD or LD video, but i can't access via a browser from work. it's probably because of our firewall/security at work.

i have TCP HTTP and UDP ports forwarded on my router at home.

i also have added my camera to my phone app using the IP address and port. i thought it said it is the preferred way to connect with the phone app.

i was reading in the usermanual and the section that talks about setting up port forwarding (p.66) says "...alternative method... should only be used if UPnP/DDNS method doesn't work"

well, i have confused myself because i think i've done both! UGH! so is the UPnP/DDNS better or more secure and also can i just close down my forwarded ports on the router and also disable that in the camera's admin page?

thanks!
James.S

Re: new user connection questions

Post by James.S »

Welcome to the forum and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the product.

From my experience, I find the most convenient is using the P2P setup.

I also enjoy using the cloud as it will also record without me needing an SD card.

However, for most secure and something, I find myself counting on more for my products at home. I use the IP setup and port forward the device in my network so I can still access it anywhere.
3dprinterguy

Post by 3dprinterguy »

hi james thanks. yeah convenience right! ha.

ok so i found some more info that has helped! in the help files for "how do i disable p2p" - there's a whole section at the top that explains by default p2p is enabled on the cameras and the phone app looks for it when you setup the camera and configures it when you scan the bar-code from within the phone app.

so as i understand it now, yes they are using p2p by default for ease of use, but you can in fact set everything up in an alternate way and don't have to have both types of connections.

further, its my understanding now, that i don't have to use ddns, all i need to do is setup the http (s?) udp and tcp port forwarding using my ISP's assigned IP address and then not only can i connect to my camera with the phone app from anywhere, but also a browser or the free amcrest app.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

My understanding:
If camera has P2P on, then it contacts P2P server supplying camera serial# as a key. When a device uses P2P, it contacts P2P server with serial# to coordinate connection to device.
When using port forwarding, you use a WAN IP address which is typically dynamic, not static. The dynamic IP address usually changes over time. So ddns enabled in the camera connects a server every X minutes and supplies the current Wan address for your specified ddns name. Then a device uses your ddns name to use the current WAN address.
The more secure method for remote access is setting up a VPN which is another subject.