New Firmware Update for IP2M-841 today?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
t0n3

New Firmware Update for IP2M-841 today?

Post by t0n3 »

I got an "Illegal Access" email from my IP2M-841 wifi cam, then when i logged in to the web interface I was prompted to visit www.amcrest.com/firmware to upgrade from current version 00004 to upgrade version 00008. The amcrest firmware page still shows Jan 6 as the latest firmware upgrade. Did my camera get hacked or is the camera firmware prompt just ahead of the website update? I am excited at the prospect of updated software.

Thanks!
PeZzy

Re: New Firmware Update for IP2M-841 today?

Post by PeZzy »

I also got the firmware update notification, but not an illegal access email.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

We will have a new firmware update soon. It will be made available on the website as well for auto update. We are working on this at the moment.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

namhuy

Post by namhuy »

i logged in and got the message to upgrade from 00004 to 00008, which I did on both of my cameras. End up both can't recognize sd card. Please do NOT push an upgrade while it has not been tested. I have to reverse back to and old firmware then reset it to make them work again.
Nam Huy linux | Geeky Open Source Linux Tutorials
https://www.namhuy.net
thefabfive

Post by thefabfive »

I got the upgrade push yesterday and installed it on my camera. Now it records non-stop even if no motion is detected. I tried adjusting the detection criteria but that did not help. I finally decided to restore the old firmware. However, that introduced a new problem. The new firmware (08) has the camera record files directly to .mp4 as opposed to the .dav format of the old version. When I restored the old firmware (04), the camera continued to record to .mp4. But the software of the old firmware (04) only looks for .dav on the sd card so I can't see any of my recordings. :shock:

These bugs need to be addressed ASAP.
t0n3

Post by t0n3 »

Thanks for the confirmation about the legit firmware update, however problematic it might be, just glad to know it's legit. I'd love to see an actual changelog posted instead of "No Change Log Available". I'm hoping the camera stops forgetting my motion detection region settings now.
t0n3

Post by t0n3 »

My camera web interface either isn't recording, or showing motion triggered recording anymore after the 08 firware update. If i watch the live stream, i can see it is detecting the motion since the red alarm icon/button lights up.
t0n3

Post by t0n3 »

t0n3 wrote:My camera web interface either isn't recording, or showing motion triggered recording anymore after the 08 firware update. If i watch the live stream, i can see it is detecting the motion since the red alarm icon/button lights up.
ok. now after reboot it looks like i'm seeing the motion recorded mp4 files made after the upgrade in the web Playback screen, and am not seeing any of the previous 8 days of .dav video i had before the reboot, and no option to view .dav files. I'm 100% in support of a change to standard mp4, but not against losing my recorded .dav files. It appears that just the abillity to view .dav files from the Playback screen was removed, my SD card capacity still shows the same usage as before the firmware update.

Looks like the reboot also introduced a "Cloud Storage" link next to Live and Playback in the top bar. There is now a Settings > Storage > Cloud Storage menu i didn't notice previously.

It also lost my motion detection region settings and timestamp overlay enable settings again. :(
looks like it added an option in motion detection to select between 1,3,5 snapshots being taken.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

I also posted in the Technical forum before I saw this thread. I'll stay on this one.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk Melvin, but if my cam is popping up upgrade notifications to a new version, that version should exist. Exist, documented, posted. Old school maybe, but I prefer to download once and do upgrades locally - especially since I'm on a 3G network for data.

Even posting the changelog with a note saying "available on XXX date" is far better than no info.
t0n3

Post by t0n3 »

I agree DavidN.

To add to the observed "changelog", i also see there are new options for popular service providers in the Settings > Network > SMTP (Email) menu. I didn't try any of them since i already had mine setup.

It also looks like my amcrest DDNS settings were disabled by the firmware upgrade or something.