New Firmware Update for IP2M-841 today?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
HtomSirveaux

Re: New Firmware Update for IP2M-841 today?

Post by HtomSirveaux »

namhuy wrote:i logged in and got the message to upgrade from 00004 to 00008, which I did on both of my cameras. End up both can't recognize sd card. Please do NOT push an upgrade while it has not been tested. I have to reverse back to and old firmware then reset it to make them work again.
I'm "glad" (?) someone else is having this issue. I upgraded my IPM-721S and now the system is claiming "No SD Card." When I get home I'm going to try the standard remove/reboot/etc, but where did you get the old firmware in case I need to revert as well?
namhuy

Post by namhuy »

Last night they did not update their website so I still can download the old firmware from the website. I just checked and they updated their website to all new firmware. I do have a copy of 841 but I'm sorry I don't have any 721 like yours. Maybe contact their support for old firmware version?
Nam Huy linux | Geeky Open Source Linux Tutorials
https://www.namhuy.net
HtomSirveaux

Post by HtomSirveaux »

namhuy wrote:Last night they did not update their website so I still can download the old firmware from the website. I just checked and they updated their website to all new firmware. I do have a copy of 841 but I'm sorry I don't have any 721 like yours. Maybe contact their support for old firmware version?
On a whim, I did a google search for cache:http://www.amcrest.com/firmware/ and it brought me to the old version of the download page. As of right now the old version is still downloadable from the link. It is currently at https://amcrest.com/downloads/Amcrest_I ... 160106.bin

Side note: Apparently it's the same file whether it's for the 721 or the 841.
amcresthell

Post by amcresthell »

Can confirm that motion detection is basically disabled, and only continuous recording is allowed. All modifications to the recording schedule page fail to save. How the hell did this get by QA?

Amcrest: Can a site admin please let us know when these bugs will be fixed?
PeZzy

Post by PeZzy »

I have motion detection 'working', but it is very erratic and often creates video files that are corrupt.

I reintalled the old firmware and the files are often corrupt, but, oddly enough, it is still making mp4 files. It seems to dislike frequent motion detections. Will try a hard reset.
Last edited by PeZzy on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I did the nagging "upgrade" and motion detect did not work = the camera just kept recording continuously. What nonsense. You people push out "upgrade" on a Friday and it is loaded with bugs !

I rolled back to the Jan 2016 version but then the only option is .dav !?

This is pathetic. You have basically made our cameras inoperative
Last edited by Mark on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeZzy

Post by PeZzy »

Has anyone tried a hard reset after installing the new firmware?
Last edited by PeZzy on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldtechy

Post by Oldtechy »

amcresthell wrote:Can confirm that motion detection is basically disabled, and only continuous recording is allowed. All modifications to the recording schedule page fail to save ...
that is not entirely accurate.
Mark

Post by Mark »

PeZzy wrote:Has anyone tried a hard reset after installing the new firmware?

Yes I tried a hard reset..... did nothing to alleviate issues
Turnkeys

Post by Turnkeys »

I also got the pop-up and upgraded the firmware on my 3 IP2M-841b's. I wasn't thrilled loosing access to the .dav files on my SD cards, but not a huge concern.

While I applaud Amcrest for implementing the mp4 format, I'm less than pleased that in doing so they've removed .dav entirely. I searched for the better part of an hour through all the available configurations for any way to select a desired format. Don't get me wrong, I like mp4's, but the integration with Smart Play is different than the previous integration with .dav files, and the usability is worse.

1) Smart Play doesn't load the entire (hour's) directory when a mp4 is opened from WinExplorer.
Did this for dav files.
2) Smart Play doesn't handle network traffic and/or file access as smoothly with mp4's. There are long gaps
in playback between larger mp4's.

I only use FTP saves on one of my cameras. (Amazon didn't ship one of my SD's.) My IP2M-841b's are the only thing I have that produces (or did produce) .dav files. So it was handy to have only that format associated with Smart Play. That's no longer the case. And while Windows (at least) will associate mp4's to Smart Play, the app won't play those files without manually loading the "Group File List". This is a downgrade in usability.

Lastly, like others have mentioned, this firmware update has badly tanked my motion detection settings. After 3 days reviewing the previous night's constant recording of an exterior facing camera, I discovered that switching the exposure from 'outdoors' back to 'auto', BLC back to auto, and turning off 3D noise reduction stopped the constant motion recording. (12 straight hours???)

I've yet to achieve the same results on my interior cameras, and am getting dozens of false motion events day and night.

This is a very poor update, that has caused far more problems than it fixed. The addition of mp4 support and (easy?) additional support for e-mail clients is not worth all the new bugs. And really, I'd love to be able to disable the cloud storage link across the top.

I only updated 1 camera and tested for major hangs before upgrading my other 2. Had I realized my error, I'd've suffered the constant update nags. Poor form there, Amcrest.

In the future, give us an alert we can permanently dismiss, or an e-mail notice. Test your updates more fully. And always provide a log of the changes made. That's also very poor form.

Best get to fixing this mess post haste. I had plans to add additional cameras, and I've been recommending these to friends and family. Those plans and recommendations are currently on hold.