My Friend's Ex is watching her cameras!

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
kimtisha

My Friend's Ex is watching her cameras!

Post by kimtisha »

I'm trying to help my friend resolve an issue with her Amcrest cameras. Her fiancé set the system up, changed the passwords, and promptly left her. She doesn't know the new password. Now he has been watching her on her cameras.

If she resets the password for the NVR using the process outlined by Amcrest, will that prevent him from watching her in the future? Will changing the password for the NVR delete the connections to the cameras?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, neither of us are very technologically savvy, but this guy is Creepy and needs to be stopped.

Thanks in advance for your patience and any information you can provide.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: My Friend's Ex is watching her cameras!

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Sorry to hear about the issues.

So to start there are a few things that one needs to understand. Most times resetting the NVR will not Reset the cameras and if your system is setup with POE cameras connected to POE Port of NVR then that don't matter much..

Would like to know what NVR your working with as there might be some important things and or Easy Fixes without a Reset to the Whole system depending on the system in Question.

So here is what to know.
An NVR that is connected to 1 Ethernet cable to the Internet and only other connections on the back are for a Mouse, monitor and things not related to cameras would be a Non POE NVR.
A POE NVR is one that is going to have all the above and will also have 1 port for each Camera you connect and might be setup like this.

NV4108E will have 8 Camera Ports and 1 Network port
NV4116E will have 8 Camera Ports and 1 Network Port however support 16 total cameras. The 8 on the NVR don't pass though, the 8 on your normal network if you had something like this setup you will want to make sure the NVR is Reset or (Password changed) and each of the Cameras connected to the normal Network. If all on the NVR POE ports then changing the NVR password will cure the others.
There could be some other type of setups as well. Like 8ch 4 POE Port NVR and again anything on the Network side will need to be Reset along with NVR.

I sent you a PM.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
kimtisha

Post by kimtisha »

Thank you for the quick reply. I am unable to reply to your PM (apparently because I just signed up for the forum?). I will provide her with the information you gave me in the PM. She is not available today, and that's why I was trying to research this for her.

She has an NV4108E.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Is that a NV4108E-HS or just the Normal E? While they might sound the same they are different models. The E normal is an older model and will have some different steps to Reset then an HS might have.
Be Safe
kimtisha

Post by kimtisha »

Sorry, it's an HS.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok That is great makes it little easier to help out and there are some steps that need to be fixed so they can't regain control
Be Safe
kimtisha

Post by kimtisha »

I cannot thank you enough.
Thoughts4You

Post by Thoughts4You »

Just pull the cable(s) or put black tape on the cameras. He won't be able to see anything.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It's been solved, That don't help someone keep an eye on their home. Removing the ability for some one that setup a device from having access to it that is the right course of action and that was done.
Be Safe