May want to think about your Passwords better...

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

May want to think about your Passwords better...

Post by Revo2Maxx »

While I can't say it is a large issue that is spread over all types of companies I did just a Notice on a news and while I hate to read the news it was on a Topic that I like Security Cameras... Sadly it seems there are some people out there getting user and passwords of other branded devices and using them to do not such nice things...

However as sad as it is the Devices I would never had put in a Bedroom to start with lol...

Anyway do to Copy right laws I will no post anything about what was in the news cast other then my own words on the matter... This info can be seen in the following weblink
https://news.yahoo.com/somebodys-watchi ... 21875.html

One of the main reasons I prefer BNC cameras security systems.... When I see my PTZ cameras start moving about in my BNC systems I will look to see who is logged in. Then i will contact my child and make sure they are really the ones in control.

It has been at least 12 or more years since I had an unwanted person on a camera... This was back in the day of Web cams gone wild lol... I had a house full of cameras that was connected to my computer and software that was recording. Opened a Port so my kids could access their cameras and found out someone getting a password for our network to the camera lucky only to that camera that was my Sons camera in my Cigar Room. I heard music coming from the room and thought someone might have left a radio playing.. Went in and the person stopped the music and said some not so cool things that I knew was BS but still.. It was then that I pulled all of the cameras and at the time said never going to buy a camera like that again lol... Meaning one that requires Network without it being a BNC system... I have a few IP cameras lol... All the testing I have done with them seem to be safe and secure so far... Maybe not so much before I bought them as there was talk some years ago about breaches.. However FW updates now no issues to speak of

Tell you how worried I am... One of my DVR's has P2P however it isn't like Amcrest P2P and before it can be active you have to read a Contract agree to the terms and set up an account... Yeah Guess what NOT GOING TO HAPPEN... there is to much about if data breach it isn't their fault and blah blah and I don't think so...
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Re: May want to think about your Passwords better...

Post by amcrest168 »

having a good password is critical to secure your network. best practice password should be at least 17 characters from a combination of uppercase (A-Z), lowercase (a-z), number (0-9) and special characters (!@#$%^). :geek:

it would take a brute force password cracker at least 317,098 years to crack 17 characters. adding one more character (18) would take close to 3 million years for the hacker tool to crack. :ugeek:
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Great idea as well... On top of that I wanted to mention on nice long Passwords... I would like to Stress to not use Common passwords either... Like don't use the password you have been using for the last 10 years and add a 123 behind it or to be honest if you are going to use a Camera that has a Connection to the Internet that someone might try to hack in your Bedroom or one of your Children or sick parents room (I wouldn't use Any IOT in my Kids rooms) I find it a little Creepy when I hear of such things. For a Baby camera that is one thing. Once the child is old enough to walk and leave the room on their own the baby cam should go. Maybe install out side their bedroom door so you know when they are awake and leaving the room after a nap... But I am sorry.. 8 year old or Teen cam in the room that is just not right in my mind... There are things that just don't sit right with me with that... They have friends come over and spend the night and things like that... Again with it out side the door and rules about runs to the bathroom or just leaving their room and anyone that comes over would need to know they are there and the use..

About a password... Most things have limits on how large a password can be.. But one that is random and don't have much to do with ones life is best... Here are 2 of my Last and never used again P1, VdDDZPKv9UHFqn8i and P2, a877zF4BV4t7i6hz now while to you these might not mean anything however there is meaning and I had to have something to help remember them lol... Also to be clear.. I will never use these Passwords again and I have changed my thought have making simple changes in the passwords to keep them going.. This is no longer in practice. That means I wouldn't change the Password by only changing a letter or 2 or making a 1 a ! and or things like that.. .Once a passwords is used it is never to cycle back....

Something I want to mention really fast as well... I had a Friend that thought his system was Hacked because someone was able to change account info on there banking and a few other things. Because of some of my Background he called me to help try and pinpoint the issue... After spending a couple of hours with my friend and his family I was able to point out the cause of breach... While I don't want to get into much Details. I will say that it was from His Daughters Ex Boy friend. On the accounts that had log in history I was able to show when he started using the passwords but didn't really do any harm until the break up... However one of the set of Passwords he had was from their NVR, 2 dome PTZ cameras the Garage IOT and a few other accounts...Found the Garage door open 2 days in a row, first time thought it was oversight, second time thought it was iOT malfunction. FIRST DON'T SAVE YOUR PASSWORD IN YOUR BROWSER HISTORY FOR YOUR CAMERA OR NVR EVER....

Also while not everyone has the ability to have a Computer that is just chilling in the Den for people to use that 1 don't share your Network and 2 don't have any trace of your LIFE in it and 3 that means no password history either... There is the nice little thing of Making an account on your personal computer for guest use... I would expect to have that done at the least. Anyone that wants to use the computer, using that computer or account however your able to setup something... That account or computer has no access to your NAS, or Camera systems without a lower account pass that has only View of static feed. That means no Audio, no Playback no changes at all... NEVER LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER OPEN TO ANYONE... that is where my Friend failed.. He left his computer running and while never had an issue with his daughter or son using his computer. It is the people that would come by to visit... Most times when you don't even know they were there...

One last thing... When you sell or toss a Phone or Computer you need to run a Scrub program and remove all trace from the computer.. After your done... Save a few pictures to the Picture folder. While most people Scrub programs do well enough it is good to add a few items back onto a fresh cleaned drive for data... I would use DBAN if you have a normal HDD and or one could use MHDD and that one works with both HDD and SSD drives...
Be Safe.
maxwhite

Post by maxwhite »

Been using encrypted passwords since a while and im quite satisfied. i also have a passpack.