Keep an eye on your mSD cards - cautionary tale.

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
longedge
Site Admin

Keep an eye on your mSD cards - cautionary tale.

Post by longedge »

The way I have my cameras setup (snapshots to NAS and video to mSD cards) makes it easy for me to do a daily check to see if there's anything interesting been happening by just flicking through the snapshots.

Today I wanted to look at a video but when I went to the camera file list it was empty for the last week. I checked all my settings and schedules and nothing there explained what had happened. The mSD card showed normal state and with plenty of empty space (although it's set to overwrite).

I gave up and formatted the card in the camera and after the re-boot it showed normal with all space empty but still wasn't recording. After another re-boot all the old files re-appeared.

The long story short, testing the card on my computer showed it was defective. It wasn't a cheapo (Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB) bought from a UK National outlet with a 10 year guarantee.

The replacement is coming tomorrow but, lesson learned, from now on my daily routine will include a quick looksee that the mSD cards are recording OK.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Keep an eye on your mSD cards - cautionary tale.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Very Odd I have a Sandisk 16 I tried to use in my 841 and the Camera around the slot got very hot. wouldn't see the card and thought it was bad. I put in a second same issue. I have them in a different 841 and works fine. However first one I tired I had in yet another 841 for about a week when I got a notice that the card was in error. I tried to format the card and nothing works.. I took the card out installed in other camera that had one in it still working yet it wouldn't work in there either. So now I have 2 that won't work in any of the 841. Installed it in a Junk built Spot light camera and the camera finds the card and formats it. I have tested it in that POS camera for almost a week with no issues... So was one of the reasons I thought it was time to get a NVR for my 5 841's and 751 and the Doorbell camera. However I am not sure I want to use the Doorbell camera on there yet after installing it in my DVR made me worry a little about ability to make changes that shouldn't be made so I took it out of my DVR and only access it on the Smart app at this time. Oddly enough the other card 16gb that was working and no longer working in the 841 I installed in the Doorbell cam it is working without issue as well. Very odd...
Be Safe.
maxwhite

Post by maxwhite »

Yes. These msdcards have a tendency to get faulty. Mine has gotten corrupted 2 times so far as well. The data was recovered once but not the other time. Its sad
patric

Post by patric »

Having to dismantle a camera to service an SD card is a royal pain, but Im glad I did when one in a new IP8M-T2499EW was preventing it from booting.
A related question... What should the life expectancy of a micro SD be when recording 24/7 in the belly of a camera?
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I think the only thing you can do is to make sure you get a genuine high endurance card. I have read that around ten years would be considered a very good lifespan so probably the same lifetime as the rest of the unit I'd say.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03