IP2M-841 - Security Update for Firmware

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Chromag9

IP2M-841 - Security Update for Firmware

Post by Chromag9 »

So I've read that there is a security vulnerability with the IP2M-841 (and maybe a couple other cameras?). It involves being able to listen in to the audio channel without requiring any security permissions. I got the email from Amcrest asking me to update the firmware to fix this security issue. So first, thanks for a quick update! Also, thanks for finally releasing a firmware that doesn't require a plugin and works with most browsers. I hope you plan on releasing this update to other camera models!

That being said I have found one minor annoyance with the latest firmware upgrade. First, your upgrade directions say to export the settings, reset to default and then import. However, the import doesn't work (get an update failed error). Fine - I'll set it up again to my liking manually. Except you've remove the option to remove the overlay for the Amcrest logo! I find it super-annoying having the huge Amcrest logo on the bottom right of my camera. Is this something that's planned to be added back?

Thanks!
longedge
Site Admin

Re: IP2M-841 - Security Update for Firmware

Post by longedge »

Hello, on your specific point about removing the logo, you should find this link useful https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... t-View-Pro
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Chromag9

Post by Chromag9 »

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately pressing this button just pops up "Please wait" then the small message "Add Amcrest logo" and nothing happens. Pressing it again and again does the same thing. It doesn't remove the logo when pressed again. If I use the same button on another Amcrest camera with the older firmware it does the same thing (and doesn't add the logo to a cam with it already removed)

EDIT:. Got it. It wasn't working because I was using the app and viewing the camera through my Amcrest NVR. I connected directly to the camera and the button turned off the logo. Thanks!
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Glad you got it sorted out.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03