Hard Drive Size

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Lorenc

Hard Drive Size

Post by Lorenc »

Looking to purchase a 4 (8mp) camera system and was wondering size TB hard drive I should get in my NVR? Will be recording by motion and won’t be using cloud storage. Also, do you recommend a micro SD card in the camera or is this redundancy not needed. New to wired security system.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Hard Drive Size

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not all NVR's come with the same Max HDD size so it is really up to you what size you will need.

As a Normal, I would buy the system and then off that system the largest HDD that you can afford within the NVRs Specs.. There are some nVR that offer 2 HDD Spaces and say if they are 10tb max per and you wanted to buy 2 4tb then I would do that for cost savings if that matters...

Then really comes down to how you want things setup. First thing to note when you setup your NVR at least all mine as of late seem to have the Snapshot setup to FULL TIME first thing I do and option in the setup when you first turn it on is setup your channels snapshot for Motion only if you leave it full time it can fill up a HDD in days..

While my system does offer 2 hdd I only have 1 installed at this time

About the MSD, if your going to purely using your NVR with POE cameras on the POE port of the NVR then in truth there is no need for MSD.. However let say you want to use a AI camera but don't want a AI NVR then in that camera I would use the MSD for recording what the NVR won't.. Outside of that if the Cameras are only going to connect to POE port on NVR no need for them in most cases. However if you installed to small of a HDD and didn't setup to Overwrite when full it might be that your MSD could come in handy Also in the event your in a High Crime area a MSD could come in handy if say you had someone break in and they stole your NVR if the Camera had MSD it could be the data needed will be found in the camera...

Buying a 4 camera system I would look at buying a 8ch with 4 cameras never know when you will want to add a camera and or use a camera in a different spot then you would normally. Maybe having your cameras all outdoors, Yet you will have your Family over for Thanksgiving and want to have a camera in the Dinning area. Maybe not something you want full time with the Extra channels you don't have to give up one of the 4..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Lorenc

Re: Hard Drive Size

Post by Lorenc »

Thanks for the information