Had someone ask me if they could power camera without POE

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Had someone ask me if they could power camera without POE

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There's a solution for situations where Cat5E cables are already in place but there's no Power over Ethernet (PoE) NVR or switch to power a camera, or if PoE cameras aren't available. I've personally implemented this method, and it works effectively. However, before proceeding, certain considerations must be taken into account.

Cable Size and Type: The size and type of the Cat5E cable are crucial factors. Only four wires out of the eight in the cable will be utilized to carry the necessary current for the camera. Using a cable with smaller wires could potentially damage the wire or the hardware it's connected to. Typically, Cat5E cables feature 24AWG wire. If the cable uses 26AWG wire, it's advisable to either lower the current requirements or shorten the cable length. Alternatively, opting for true copper cables with 24AWG wire guarantees the best results.

Wiring Configuration: The cable ends should be wired as follows on both ends: orange white, orange, blue white, empty, empty blue, empty empty. Then, the last four wires (green and brown pairs) are grouped. The green pair is designated for Ground, while the brown pair is used for Positive. This wiring convention aligns with my preference, as green symbolizes ground, and brown, resembling red, serves as the positive connection.

Type: It's imperative to avoid using CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) cables. Ensuring that the cables used are true copper is essential for optimal performance and reliability.

By adhering to these guidelines, you can successfully utilize Cat5E cables to power your cameras without a PoE NVR or switch, or even without PoE-compatible cameras. This method offers a practical and efficient solution for powering cameras in scenarios where traditional PoE setups are unavailable.

So would need the RJ45 ends and male/female power ends.
Be Safe.