External PoE? 44 vs 42 series NVR? and AI?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
trollsoft

External PoE? 44 vs 42 series NVR? and AI?

Post by trollsoft »

POE. If the same NVR with PoE is $160 more than the same model without PoE, is there a downside to using a well-reviewed $50 PoE switch from Amazon to save $110? (Other than cabinet messiness)?

I cannot figure out what the difference between the NVR44xxx series and NVR42xxx series is. The advertised features seem identical between some NVR44xxxs and some NVR42xxxs but the price is different. Are there any general generational differences listed anywhere?

AI features:
If all the cameras have AI, does the NVR need to be AI?
I cannot figure out what works with AI cameras + AI NVR vs. AI cameras + regular NRV vs. regular cameras + AI NVR....

Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: External PoE? 44 vs 42 series NVR? and AI?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well to be honest not sure what the difference is. On the 44xx they don't show the back of the NVR like they do on the 42xx that supports 16ch POE from the NVR. Unlike the 4116E-HS or A2 that only supports 8ch POE on the back. Maybe it is like that for the 44xx? Personally don't know, I do own the 4216E-AI NVR. However in the listing of the 4416E it does say in the image that it is 16PORT POE so my guess is that it is.
Next thing that I see is different is the 10tb where the 42xx says 8tb in each of the HDD spaces.

Outside of that all other data seems the same between the 2 of them. I mean the 44xx says 2000 Mbps if not using AI and I think that is a Mis-Print I have passed the type-o to Amcrest in case it is. If it isn't then the POWER with out AI is Extreme. However I think it was meant to say 200 without AI..

So if you have all AI cameras and don't need AI then you could get away with the A2 version of the 41xx. Keep in mind they use a different type power supply and all cameras you connect will need AI to use the AI features. If you say have 1 like older camera without AI it could still be used on all of the NVR's that Amcrest offers just with the AI format NVR's like the 4216E-AI (Like I have) it lets you use 4 Non AI cameras with AI and work with Vehicle and Human detection. Then lets say that you have some cameras that are AI like (Meaning they offer tripwire and Intrusion) but don't have the filtering that the higher AI cameras do. Then you could setup that camera to work with the 44xx, 42xx AI and no longer have all the false alerts.

Now also keep in mind that AI tech from other brands like Hikvision or Axis will not work the AI in the NVR of the 41xx-A2 or the others for that fact however with the 44 and 42 again with the 4 channels AI you could have AI in that connected camera..

Now for what POE and Non POE will give you. If you have a lot of Non Amcrest cameras it might be best to use Switch and normal NVR. however if you are going to use Amcrest and Dahua type tech cameras on the NVR that are POE then POE will make it safer for your cameras from being exposed to the internet or others outside of the NVR's network.. Then when you are away and using POE 16ch ported NVR with all the cameras connected to the NVR you have less devices on your app that you have to access to look over your security system footage... IF you had a normal 16ch NVR with 16 cameras while you could still access the NVR's 1 password option there is still 17 devices that could be under an attack from a bad actor..
Be Safe.
trollsoft

Post by trollsoft »

Now for what POE and Non POE will give you. If you have a lot of Non Amcrest cameras it might be best to use Switch and normal NVR. however if you are going to use Amcrest and Dahua type tech cameras on the NVR that are POE then POE will make it safer for your cameras from being exposed to the internet or others outside of the NVR's network.. Then when you are away and using POE 16ch ported NVR with all the cameras connected to the NVR you have less devices on your app that you have to access to look over your security system footage... IF you had a normal 16ch NVR with 16 cameras while you could still access the NVR's 1 password option there is still 17 devices that could be under an attack from a bad actor..
Sorry, I don't quite understand this. (First, note, I don't have any cameras yet, I'm going from zero to 4-8 cameras and NVR). Most PoE switches have two LAN connections, one for the router and one for the NVR. I thought the point of that was to isolate the cameras to the NVR. No?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry don't have any said POE Switch that has lan connectors like that. I mean sure my Managed Switch I could setup a VPN in my Switch that will only keep the setup ports connected to each ports and nothing outside of that. However if there is that type of Switch for Amcrest maybe then yeah it could be setup where there is no connection to your normal network, However if it is only a Single port NVR (Normal non POE) then that means that NVR wouldn't have access to the Internet for you to have access to the NVR when you are away from Home/Business..

The NVR's that are POE are setup with POE Ports for the cameras and a Lan port for the connection to the local network. this connection to the local network is where you can also connect Wifi cameras to the NVR if you had any.. However in the NVR all cameras that are connected to the POE ports of the NVR are not reachable from the local area network as they are on a different IP range.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

The non-POE NVR will give you IP control over the cameras whereas the POE NVR will also be the DHCP server for the cameras (likely using a different subnet) limiting your flexibility in managing cameras from different manufacturers or from different network segments, etc. Isolation of the camera network can be accomplished several ways without being locked into the restrictions of the NVRs subnetting -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not very flexible.

I personally prefer an external POE switch and DHCP server (my router). It suits my purpose quite well and easily allows combining different manufacturer's cameras and even cameras from other NVRs/DVRs..., even a WyzeCam or two. LOL