Changing the D-Sub on your DVR/NVR

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Changing the D-Sub on your DVR/NVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Had a friend reach out to me first of this month on some issues he was having with one of his DVR's (Told him he needs a video hub so now he has one) However after looking and doing some testing I told him that the issue is that one of the pins in the D-Sub port is bad bent or broke and needed to be replaced. You see he has 3 recorders and a computer that he uses the monitor on and would just plug and unplug the monitor to the devices.

So he bought new D-Sub from Ebay and a I0 Gear KVM. Also bought some soldering gear. (Offered to help him when he was ready but likes to do things on his own) lol.. Anyway he spent the last 3 hours trying to get the D-Sub removed. Sent me a picture what he was working with and I told him it wasn't going to work.

So I thought I would pass along incase someone out there tries to do something of the same. To remove the D-Sub it is really best to use a wire that you can solder onto the board pins of the D-Sub and the Connector pens. Using a soldering iron with good enough power heat up the whole part as 1. 15pins and 2 holder pins and just pull the connector out of the PCB. Then once that part is heated and pulled as 1 unit you can then using a desoldering pump and wick and clean up the pads and get it ready to install the new one. Fastest and safest way to remove it without damaging the PCB Now not all systems will have the 2 outside grounding post connected with solder some will only be plastic pins that are really not doing anything outside of keeping the part in place. One of the hardest part of removing in most devices today is that they are all soldered in with un-leaded solder so if they feed a lot of solder down into that hole it will be hard to suck it all out. (Mainly because you will want to feed some new leaded solder) I will include a picture of a 4108 top view of the area in question. I didn't pull out the board to take a picture as that is just not needed but you can see that the holder is soldered into the PCB..

Also in some cases if the part you are re-installing is the same you can just disconnect them pins and only have to worry about the 15pins from the D-Sub it self. However the new part he has isn't the same so best to just take it all out as 1. Also removing the pins once the D-Sub is out would need something to hold the pins as they will be hot as your iron is sending. Stay Safe..
20230512_175123_resized.jpg
20230512_175123_resized.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5852 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe