Change minimum password length?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Bayhouse

Change minimum password length?

Post by Bayhouse »

I'm trying to setup the IP5M-T1179EW-28MM camera for use on my boat and integrated with my marine electronics (Furuno). The Furuno equipment REQUIRES a very specific username (root) and password (pass). I know, not very secure but these devices are not usually connected to the internet either.

The user setup ("Manage Users") seems to require a minimum of 8 characters for the password. Is there some way to disable or change this? Otherwise, I will not be able to use this camera.

If not, is there another IP camera, different firmware or different config utility that would allow this change?

TIA
Thoughts4You

Re: Change minimum password length?

Post by Thoughts4You »

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I want at least a 64+ character password option. =P
Pogo

Re: Change minimum password length?

Post by Pogo »

The camera password convention is not the problem. Quite the opposite.

Furuno equipment has password management capabilities. A little research would go a long way in both securing what is currently a highly insecure system and possibly allowing integration of an IP camera accordingly.