Camera effectiveness in cold weather?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
omsrud

Camera effectiveness in cold weather?

Post by omsrud »

I just installed the Amcrest 720P 4CH Tribrid (IP/HDCVI) Video Security System in the house we are having built. The 4 cameras are all outside and we live in MN where temperatures can go into the negative double-digits. I am looking for feedback from others who live in cold climates and if you had issues with your security camera systems during the winter season and cold weather.

Thank you.
JimSchuuz

Re: Camera effectiveness in cold weather?

Post by JimSchuuz »

Based on my experiences in troubleshooting cold temperature installations, you are going to have several problems.
1. Whenever you need a camera in temperatures below freezing (let alone below zero) you have to use cameras designed for cold temperatures that have heating elements built-in.
2. Due to wind chill, your cameras need to be housed in exterior cases that are designed for cameras and lenses.
3. You may also need specially built cables to run to the camera as well, because standard cables are usually steel/tin/aluminum against copper at the termination points. The different metals expand and contract at different rates and at different temperatures, which weakens the connections, causes premature wear, and creates gaps that allow moisture in.