Analog camera no longer working things to check

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Analog camera no longer working things to check

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So had a friend that has a couple of bad cameras and asked if I would look at them for him.. I said sure.

Things I brought
Multi Meter
Cables
Power Supply
Fuses
Backup cameras in case needed

First there are a few things that need to happen.
1 if your using a Wall Wort most likely that can be damaged, You will want to test that the power supply is good or not. Using a Multi Meter test the Power supply for voltage if none, make sure to test the camera side for a short in the power line. If there is a short and no power from the power supply check the Fuse in the PDU. (Replace)
2 if there was a short in the cameras power line in some cases this is a Power Protection Diode issue. Depending how this short was caused there might be damage visual or non-visual so you will want to test the diode for short. IF when you take the camera apart and you have the ability to disconnect the cable form the camera PCB and test the cable again just to make sure there was no short in the cable as that can happen. Most times for me anyway I have normally found them to be an Open and not a Short. In my friends case his was ok and this says that the camera is at fault. Using the meter test the diodes where the Video and power come into the pcb. On his there was one showing at the back of the PCB and that was the Video protection. (Tested good) So had to look on other side of PCB and sure enough there was a dead diode.

You can remove this Diode, Connect the cable back to the PCB and double check that the short is gone. If no short you can test the camera and it should work. Keep in mind that it will work this way. However you will want to make sure that you replace that Protection diode or the next time it will not stop at the diode (Seeing it is gone) and it will destroy your camera.

For his second camera the issue was caused when he went digging in the roof of his garage trying to find the issue of the other camera and pulled the cable or did something where it damaged the wires for the power cable.

So for the 1 camera I helped him run new cable to the camera. If you know where the shorts are you can just splice or repair the current cable however using my tools I was not able to find where the damage was so it was just faster and easier to run a new cable.

The other camera, I removed the Protection diode and plugged back in to show that it works. I don't have one to replace it so I left him with a 5mp TVI camera to use while we wait for replacement diode for his camera.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe