IP2M-844EB FTP only storage option?

Any major updates coming, Upcoming Software, General Security advice for others and topics alike Post them here so other users can chat with you.
gba88

IP2M-844EB FTP only storage option?

Post by gba88 »

Hi,
I just installed a new IP2M-844E, and have previously owned a wireless IP2M-841. I expected to see the same storage options with the exception of the sd card, but the 844E has only a "Path" tab and an "FTP" tab. I really need to access an NAS drive, but see no option whatsoever. I'm having trouble setting up the FTP option to hit the NAS drive. I installed the latest firmware, but still the only option is "FTP". Am I missing something here? I never woudl have bought this version if I knew I couldn't use the NAS drive.

I found this link: https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... IP2M-844E-

and it lists an "NAS" option, but that is not on my camera storage screen. My info is below, Please advise.

Software Version
2.420.0000.0.R, build : 2016-08-15

WEB Version
gba88

Re: IP2M-844EB FTP only storage option?

Post by gba88 »

Well, it looks like I didn't do enough research before buying this camera. I have a netgear R6250 router with a connected USB drive I'm trying to record to. It seems everyone has problems with this, and it has not been solved by amcrest. I found an old post here: https://amcrest.com/forum/technical-dis ... -t415.html

One user did mention getting it working with setting up some passive FTP rules in their firewall, but I do not think this is possible with the R6250, since it will not allow you to point the FTP IP to the router IP (essentially your FTP server is the router's IP since the drive is connected via usb and does not get it's own IP address).

Has anyone successfully figured out a solution to this problem? If not, I guess I'll be returning the camera and trying a different brand.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello gba88 ,

We have not had much success with the FTP on Netgear router with a usb drive. What works well is NAS devices such WD Cloud or Buffalo which has FTP support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

mystic860

Post by mystic860 »

What works well is the direct NAs connector that in the IP2M-841W.
Why an IP camera would not have this option is beyond me

FWIW, I was about to outfit my properties with these cameras, but without this option I am going to shop for another brand that does have a direct NAS connect feature like your other model does.
Additionally the support website has a write up on how to connect to a NAS storage device on model IP2M-844E, yet the options do not exist!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (56.39 KiB) Viewed 257 times
AMcrest just lost a customer due to this oversight.