Want Older Firmware

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
flylow

Re: Want Older Firmware

Post by flylow »

Is there a way to manually install the older firmware on an Amcrest IP8M-2496? Does Amcrest make the older firmware available (I couldn't find it on their web site). I have one camera with older firmware that is really nice (2.460.1.0.R, Build Date: 2018-06-25), and another identical camera with newer firmware without zoom or timeline. What's the point in having an 8M camera and no zoom? I'm fine using Pale Moon as my browser/viewer. Or, can I save off the firmware image from the older camera and then just manually load it into the newer camera (I know, not likely). Are there any security issues with the older firmware? I couldn't find any change logs for this camera on Amcrest's site...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So there are a lot of things that come into play when your talking about FW and what is loaded and why one might be different then another.. However first thing that comes to mind is if your other camera has 9-2019 or newer FW at this time there is no way to go back to older FW without paying Shipping both ways to Amcrest and they can install in the Lab the older last known good FW for you. The cost of doing so for 1 camera might not be worth the wait or cost..

The next thing that comes to mind is maybe if both cameras are of 2018 FW and non are able to be DL it might be that the newer of the 2 was found not as stable and was removed..

Another issue that can come about is that your talking about a V1 and V2 system where they have different Circuits inside the case and this causes the FW to be different because the way it was wrote for the older system wouldn't work in the camera with the newer circuits inside..

So I would double check that they are Both the same Name and one don't have a V2 behind it that can answer a lot..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
flylow

Post by flylow »

I checked the sticker on the newer camera with reduced functionality and it is 09-2019. Maddening. I can't really think of another example of so many features being stripped out of a software/firmware package. If I had known, I would have never bought this one.

Thank you for your response.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well not sure where you bought the one with 2019 FW on it. If it was From amazon and is within the time that is allowed for exchange I would contact Amcrest and see if they will setup an RMA for a camera with normal FW. At times people might buy from Amazon as a Auth Amcrest Seller that might have sold a camera that was sold before even though they are asked not to.. In this case from what I heard anyway, The Camera should have been sent back to Amcrest and they would have installed the older FW sold it as Referb.. Also from what I was told Amcrest from them Direct don't sell cameras or devices with newer FW installed unless it is a Device that was Released in 2019 or later. If it was released in 2018 or before the last known stable FW should be what is installed and it is the Users own doing to install FW that changes things in 2019 over to JS format..

So it might have been someone bought the camera installed new FW didn't like it and returned it maybe even said they didn't use it because maybe they didn't install it and was thought it was just a NEW device that was never used..
Be Safe
flylow

Post by flylow »

I bought it from newEgg, and it shipped directly from Amcrest. I suspect that, after a late night of running cat5, that I might have done the firmware update myself. At the time, I wouldn't have known about the dropped features. Amcrest should make the old versions available on their website.
Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Understand about the Old one be able to be Reinstalled and as I said in my first post with JS update of the 2019 FW there is to much a change to Brick the Device so there is no way at this time to go back to non JS FW outside of the Amcrest Lab.. They have tool and ability that we don't have and in a case that it bricks they could even go deeper and even Re Flash at Chip level if needed...

Yeah there has been a lot of things removed from most devices with the updates to 2019 FW not sure about any of them returning in newer 2020 and 2021 FW I would guess they should..
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

flylow wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 am ... and another identical camera with newer firmware without zoom or timeline. What's the point in having an 8M camera and no zoom? ...
On a PC, Amcrest Surveillance Pro has zoom for Live and Playback.  Playback also has a timeline. 
flylow

Post by flylow »

Thanks jack7, I might give that a try.
flylow

Post by flylow »

I actually read the EULA for Surveillance Pro. I'm a little nervous about this clause about People's Republic of China:

12. Arbitration and Jurisdiction
This EULA is governed by PRC Law, while the explanation and execution of the EULA and the settlements of all disputes shall be performed exclusively in the courts of jurisdiction where Provider locates.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Amcrest is a Dahua OEM. Your Amcrest cameras were made in China by Dahua.  Amcrest Surveillance Pro(ASP) is about the same as Dahua SmartPSS.  If you trust your Amcrest camera firmware and Web UI, then you should probably trust ASP.