Install Guide doe Video Doorbell without an existing doorbell

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
Swaligorski

Install Guide doe Video Doorbell without an existing doorbell

Post by Swaligorski »

Can we get a guide for how to install the video doorbell without already having an existing doorbell? Other companies that make them have guides. Also, are there any plans for a power supply to run the doorbell off of that would plug into an existing outlet or a battery? Both of these would be options for powering without an existing doorbell. Also, would be nice to see with and without a chime. Other companies mentioned a special resistor and/or diode being needed doe installing like this and it would be nice to know.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Install Guide doe Video Doorbell without an existing doorbell

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

While this is a New Product for Amcrest I am sure they are in the works for making some as they have been released and other have same issues may have been something omitted by other companies when they first released the device they sale as well.. Don't know don't have any of the others as I don't like the idea behind some of them and ability of taking away the rights of the American People... Every day we loose rights.. I don't tend to give up many Freely. People don't serve this Country so we can loose them but so we can keep them...

I don't promote the Doorbell as a way to keep people from stealing your Packages.. By the time they get to your front door and package, Seeing that Camera if they even do by then it is to late they are Committed to taking what ever it is they are going to take... However seeing a Camera from the Street. They are far more likely to move on to another house then Risk being seen.

I promote the LARGER Camera Revaluation. While some of my Cameras are running on day mode and you can't see any low Red Light off the leds cause they dont come on when not needed. SO if I see someone lurking about I will over camera config menu turn on the b/w of the camera that then turns on the LEDS so they know by no mistake these are real and they are being watched lol...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I am sure you have already seen the youtube video for installing... If Not you can watch here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWxDH6Ap4FQ

However I know that isn't very helpful for a Person that wants to install system without a Bell switch already...

So if there is no Bell already and don't want to have a Bell in your home but want to have the Amcrest doorbell Camera the good news is that it can be done very easy...

Here is what you will need...
First you will need a Power Supply. This is going to be a 16 to 24vac and might be the hardest thing to find... To be safe I would look for a Alarm Power Supply as it will be the easiest for a stand alone. You would plug this into wall after connection of 2 wires that you will drill a hole out to the outside for your Amcrest doorbell camera... It will be a big brick 24vac PSU with a Screw hole to make sure it don't fall out of the outlet you connect it too...
Some 18ga wire, Don't have to be the Special type just normal will be fine.
Drill bit large enough and long enough to go from inside your house to the outside
I would also get a Cover for the PSU that will make it so no one is tempted to play with it seeing most times they are installed in a Alarm Closet or other out of the way area out of sight out of mind.
Doorbell.jpg
Doorbell.jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Be Safe.
Swaligorski

Post by Swaligorski »

Hey, thanks for the help even though I am just now seeing this. I was able to get it setup the other day with a 24Vac wall plug (designed for smart doorbells and thermostats). My main concern was that I was seeing doorbells by other companies requiring diodes or resistors and wasn't sure if the Amcrest needed something. I want to get a reply back to confirm before I caused any damage. It seems to be working fine. I have it temporarily sitting on my desk powered on.

This is what I bought and am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PN6NCV/
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Glad you got it working.. The one you have will work as long as the Specs are all right.. I am not sure how many amps it will need to keep running full time.. I am sure if there was something that was needed like other brands it would have been included in the packaging with instructions on what and why. Something like that wouldn't be omitted on something with this price tag...

I can't stress this enough.. This is a DoorBell and not designed to detour someone from stealing something off your front door step or someone breaking into your home... 90% of the time if someone sees something like this they may destroy it or just change the location they are going to make entry. However if you have another camera or more then 1 is better, but seeing them could keep them off your property all together...

To make your hole in the outside and mounting area normal door bell switch is 48 off the porch, deck or top step and if handicap access area 48 inches is the Max... Best to have a Long bit with one of 2 things. One a Bit with a Fish hole in it already or a Fish rod or tape but the rod is better for having to go though insulation if your not using a Fish Drill bit.. Like Kline, or Bosch or Irwin and a few others make them.

Just for kicks I would maybe Call Amcrest and ask them if there is any flaw in the design like with others that I would assume don't have Over Voltage or Current protection built in. Make sure you tell them the Type of PSU your using because that does have some extra parts it in that would or could help protect over voltage and I am going to guess seeing it is 300ma they must have a Chip that is regulated in the PSU you have... Like in my Picture I posted first time.. That is Raw Ac to AC and at times can have an issue in the second part of the photo like yours there are things inside that keep it a constant power even if there was a surge at the socket...
Be Safe.