Functioning H265 RTSP streams

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
mastermindpro

Functioning H265 RTSP streams

Post by mastermindpro »

I have a few Amcrest cameras, IP2M-853EW and IP4M-1053EW's. I'm using them as fixed-mount cameras for broadcast applications in a church setting. They work reasonably well for this, with the exception of H265 encoding. When I use VLC or FFMPEG to connect to their primary RTSP streams when H265 is the selected codec, image corruption sporadically occurs. This same corruption doesn't occur with either H264 or H264H selected as the compression codec on the primary stream. The corrupted frames are largely blocky, and oftentimes mostly grey in color. FFMPEG reports several problems in its console output when the frames are corrupt.

I'd rather use H265, as it does look noticeably better at the same data rates than H264H, but I can't rely on it at present. Support told me to make a feature request here, which is kind of a joke, really. Is it really a feature request to get a publicly-available feature working like it should? Whatever, I'm posting here anyway.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Functioning H265 RTSP streams

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@mastermindpro Hello and Welcome to the Forum

I am going to guess that the H265 might not support by Software what your trying to do right now and was why they said to ask on the Forum... It is easier to move the request along and have an understanding what a person wants if they have a hard copy for the R&D department...

Sadly the H265 is not supported in loads of different things and as time goes on with more and more cameras/devices being built with the encoding that might change... Or someone might make a better one and everyone will adopt that only time can tell..
Be Safe.
jack7

Re: Functioning H265 RTSP streams

Post by jack7 »

Depending on your processor, number of h.265 streams being decoded, and other loads, you may be reaching your processor load limit at times. H.265 decoding does use more cycles than than h.264.