AD110 doorbell IR lights

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
Sdtowerguy

AD110 doorbell IR lights

Post by Sdtowerguy »

I have several Amcrest cameras and got a doorbell unit a few weeks ago. My problem is that at night the unit switches every few minutes between day and night mode and when the IR lights come on the unit the “pulse” slowly making the picture appear to bloom. I have a street light in view and was told that this was causing the problem or I needed a bigger transformer. I installed a 30va transformer but the problem continued. I took the unit and actually installed in my garage with no windows and monitored it and could still see the blooming affect caused by the IR lights pulsing. Thought I had a bad unit and got another one and it did the same thing. I asked support if I could turn off the IR lights and was told that was not possible. I covered the IR lights with electrical tape and that made little difference. Is there any way to turn the IR lights off and keep this unit from from switching between day and night mode? I have enough ambient light with the streetlight that the unit works pretty good and works flawlessly during the day. I have also factory reset both units several times.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 doorbell IR lights

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Sadly having enough light isn't going to cut it in the since that the camera sensor doesn't think the camera does. Is there a way to shut off the IR at night? There isn't by software that I know of at this time. Can you turn off the IR? I am not 100% sure even if you could that you should. Right now only way to turn off the IR would void your Warranty. So in a Short Answer No.

Please note. IF you were to do something to this device that would make the IR not work and a new Update came out later on it could BRICK the Doorbell camera. When Software is written it is under the idea that the system is still working as designed and I wouldn't offer any idea of how to turn off the IR because of this... If it was out of warranty then it is at your own Risk.

My advice take away some Light from the area it is watching if it is your lights. Maybe if you have 100watt bulbs put in 40 or 60 and see if that is enough at night to keep your Camera in Night time mode... I know you said you had a Street light in view but your lights if you had some might also effect it as well...

Last thing to try... Buy a Class 2 24Vac PSU if your Doorbell can take that much power as some only will work with 16Vac...
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

no not attempt to turn off IR on the ad110 by adjusting the day/night mode from 'auto' to 'color' as it will brick the doorbell unit and render both its hot spot and the factory reset button inoperative. the product team is aware of the issue but in the mean time, do not use any legacy amcrest apps other than the new smart home app with any smart home device.
Sdtowerguy

Post by Sdtowerguy »

Thanks for the information Revo2Maxx. I really don't have any options as there is no light from my house and all the ambient light is either from the neighbors or the streetlight. This still doesn't explain why when I moved the doorbell to the inside of my garage which is a controlled environment with no external light that when I monitored the video from the doorbell I could see the IR light fluctuating in intensity, getting brighter and dimmer with no changes in external light. I have 6 other amcrest cameras that work great and was hoping to stay with amcrest but this doorbell unit is problematic at night,, during the day it is great. I have been told that there might be a new firmware coming out for this unit but when I asked about a timeline they could not give me a timeline. Since it could be a year or more I will return this unit and try another doorbell camera unit. Maybe the Ezviz unit. Thanks.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

@Sdtowerguy, are you using a 16v 10va or a 16v 30va? i recall the ir light fluctuating was bad before i had switched to the 16v 30va.
Sdtowerguy

Post by Sdtowerguy »

Using a 16vac 30va transformer
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

it was raining here late last night and the doorbell went crazy with motion detection. falling rain drops lighted up by infra red would set off motion detection. i also noticed the ir fluctuation gets bad on cloudy nights when clouds glow from light pollution.