"Scrubbing" to locate video

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
patric

"Scrubbing" to locate video

Post by patric »

Im needing a quick way to locate incident video where the exact time of the incident is unknown.
"Scrubbing" is where a user drags a cursor across a segment of a timeline to view it, allowing playback at arbitrary rates and direction. Scrubbing is a convenient way to quickly navigate an AV file, and is a common feature of modern editing software.
When I try to use fast-forward (2X, 4X etc on an NVR or camera) it works for a few seconds and then drops out back to normal playback speed.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: "Scrubbing" to locate video

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am going to guess that is because your Record Rate time is low most are setup for 5 or 10 minutes. Yes sadly then it goes back to normal speed and have to tell it to speed up again.. I changed my Record time for longer and now have less times to tell recorder to fast forward again...

Other things I have found this is when there is motion and if I am watching more then 1 ch it will pause while other ch turns on and plays Not saying this is your issue just saying I have seen it happen in them times on my recorders as well...
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:47 pm I am going to guess that is because your Record Rate time is low most are setup for 5 or 10 minutes. Yes sadly then it goes back to normal speed and have to tell it to speed up again.. I changed my Record time for longer and now have less times to tell recorder to fast forward again...
I see where lengthening your record time increases the size of segments you can shuttle thru, but it also means you cant view playback for that segment until the camera finishes laying down that segment.
In a security environment you will often need an instant playback without having to wait several minutes for the camera to be ready. This I imagine is why the factory sets record time to 8 minutes or so, but its still an undesirable attribute when you need to see a playback with great urgency.

The 4K cameras im using have rudimentary video editing software onboard (like setting IN and OUT points) so its not a big leap to include other common editing controls like JOG/SHUTTLE that make it easy to find video when you dont know the precise time of the desired segment.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Patric wrote:
"In a security environment you will often need an instant playback without having to wait several minutes for the camera to be ready."

Amcrest View Pro can receive Push Notifications quickly and starts LiveView or plays a video if you wait maybe 20 seconds or so.
patric

Post by patric »

jack7 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:14 pm
Amcrest View Pro can receive Push Notifications quickly and starts LiveView or plays a video if you wait maybe 20 seconds or so.

Thats good to know, but getting a low-resolution text message, and preserving high-resolution incident video for a criminal investigation are worlds apart.
The Amcrest hardware is potentially capable of so much more than the present software allows, so im glad they are thinking ahead to a more polished interface.