What Type Of PC

Have some questions or having issues with Blue Iris? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
timlab5555

What Type Of PC

Post by timlab5555 »

What type of PC would I need to run APS and Blue Iris?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: What Type Of PC

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To be honest it is really going to be dependent on what type of running ASP, Orion, or Blue Iris you want to do. If you want to just run a monitor station with ASP then almost anything that you have laying around should do with i3 or better. I mean I have a computer with 8gb ram and a 2012 Celeron. While it might not be the greatest but works for watching a few. Then have same year I3 3220 and 3240, They work just fine. Old AMD cpu Fx-4300 gaming machine from about same time I might have bought it in 2013 I can't remember now however that CPU was said to be better then the i5 4200 that was a newer Intel CPU at the time.. I have ran 2 monitors with that CPU. I have ran 2 monitor with ASP and my i7-5820k 32gb ram 4gb video. I have ran 2 monitors on a I7-7700 16gb ram and 4gb video, and a couple of others from that time with same motherboard just different lower Celeron CPU and 32gb ram.

However when it comes to BI, I tried it on my i7-7700 with 16gb ram and had some issues but I think it was the build of Bi used. I changed out a gaming machine little bit back that I move it to and run it on now a i7-10700, 6gb Video card and 16gb ram and for 1 software it was working great after an update to both Bi and Code Project AI the computer started having issues with 100% CPU all the time while in an event.. So waiting for a new update to fix that issue..

There is min and recommended stats for Bi that might help. Just keep in mind that even with a 2 year old POS gaming machine that I no longer use for gaming it can make the system go 100% cpu. Current version of bi I am using is 5.8.5.8 there is a newer one but isn't what they are calling as stable so I am staying on this one for now.. Also before this version my stand by CPU was running about 3% now it is at 12%. Also keep in mind any time your system goes to do an update it will or can make your system not so happy..

Not sure what Version Pogo is using right now but he says his is very Stable and uses little system resources and I don't remember right now with all the things in my brain but think he said his is an older machine like 4th or 5th gen? However I don't think he is using Code Project AI. Only time mine gets cranky is reading plates. If I turn that off my road camera that reads plates my CPU don't go over 20% Even if I use CP AI without GPU..

my current use Computer for Bi
Screenshot (1435).png
Screenshot (1435).png (86.32 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Be Safe.
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

Gosh, no one has fixed this board yet? I just got done typing a book back to you and it didn't even save it. Okay once again....I'm thinking about getting a mini PC to run my ASP and BI. At night when I go to bed, I turn off my I9 and I7. When I do that, everthing becomes stationary. I would like my cameras to keep moving back and fourth. Make sense?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry about that, I don't have access to that part of the forum, it does same thing to me. So now before I post I copy my text first. This way if I hit submit and I have to log in again I can just paste the message again and submit. It's a PITA when I am being rushed I forget sometimes and have to do over.
About what your trying to do? I am guessing you want mini PC to run Bi and access from i7 or i9 machines in day time?
Be Safe.
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

I have 3 monitors (2 27" and 1 34"). So I figure run from mini pc to one of the monitors. Keyboard and mouse no problem. This way APS/BI is running all the time and the cameras are moving 24/7, instead of going off and on.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am sure I will get Beat up over this Comment but here goes anyway lol.. I have 6 monitors connected on my Office desk 3 rows of 2, Center 2 are 32" and the 2 on either side are 19-24" 5 of them are connected to recorders as main use and a couple are connected with Rack Mounted 8 port each KVM's so I can switch between recorders or computers depending on monitor or KVM. My main Recording devices are DVR/NVRs with more then people that are normal really need lol. I have given 2 NVRs away in the past couple of years. My 2116-HS and a 4108-HS. I would personally invest in a DVR/NVR before buying a NEW PC to setup for full time recording. Here are 5 reasons I would use a DVR/NVR before Blue Iris!

1 User-Friendly interface: DVR/NVR systems often provide intuitive interfaces, catering to users with varying technical expertise and offering a smoother learning curve compared to Blue Iris.
2. Cost Efficiency: DVR/NVR solutions typically offer more budget-friendly options, making them appealing for users seeking cost-effectiveness without compromising essential recording and monitoring features.
3. Out-Of-The-Box Intergration: many DVR/NVR systems are designed for plug-and-play functionality, ensuring seamless integration with a variety of cameras without the need for extensive configuration or third-party software installation.
4. Optimized Hardware: DVR/NVR solutions are often paired with hardware optimized for surveillance purposes, enhancing performance and reliability compared to generic setups that may require additional tuning for optimal functionality.
5. Simplified Maintenance: Users may find DVR/NVR systems to be more straightforward in terms of maintenance an updates, reducing the time and effort required to keep the surveillance system running smoothly compared to more complex software like Blue Iris.

In Summary, opting for a DVR/NVR systems over Blue Iris provides users with a user-friendly interface, cost ifficiency, out-of-the-box integration, optimized hardware, and simplified maintenance, making them a practical choice for those seeking reliable and accessible surveillance solutions.

One potential advantage of Blue Iris over some DVR/NVR systems is its higher level of costomization and flexibility, allowing advanced users to tailor settings and configurations to specific preferences or requirements. *Like License Plate reading, or Ability to detect animals* for alerts..

One thing I dislike about Blue Iris, After every update of Code Project Ai, I have to disable and re enable each AI events I want setup. This means programming each camera back to what data I want it to collect. With my AI NVR or DVRs I do an Update and all cameras come back online and capturing events just as they were setup from day 1...
Be Safe.
timlab5555

Post by timlab5555 »

Are you sure your not at Ft. Knox, KY?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No, A State above.
Be Safe.