Remote access

Have some questions or having issues with Blue Iris? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Remote access

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I setup a Tunnel to have access to my Blue Iris and the quality if kind of low. Anyone using a tunnel service to access the Blue Iris that might have some insight why the feed looks so blurry?

So I click on my Webserver page that connects using a tunnel service that I setup. I have 100mb download and 20mb up so there should be enough speed to look over my current setup of 6 cameras without it being so blurry.

Thanks in Advance.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Remote access

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I don't know if there is a different way to start the feed. However I found that the issue might be related to the connection starting out in a VBR 1080. If I change to the 1080P format in the listing or anything that don't have VBR next to it the feed is no longer blurry and looks nice. So not something that I would use often. However because of the idea that Bi is like a DVR/NVR and I want to have access to my feeds from outside of my home like I do on my DVR/NVR's that I have not only bought the BI App I have setup Remote access to my Blue Iris. This way I have more info about these features and able to offer some help if the need ever comes about.

So yeah. It always starts in 1080P VBR setting. I change to 1080P and it looks just fine..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Not too experienced with remote access, but the type of connection and what you are actually accessing certainly play a role in the quality right from the git go. VRB at a lower resolution is obviously designed to at least make a basic connection with minimal bandwidth requirements -- presumably to be adjusted accordingly wherever such adjustments are necessary. Your solution happened to work because the bandwidth was there and the processing at each end could easily facilitate the 1080 CBR connection. It could just as easily crashed to 720 under more stressful conditions.

Now if were talking UI3, there are settings both there and in BI to restrict / set remote access parameters depending on anticipated conditions and management/viewing requirements with adjustments being available via UI3 after the fact if necessary to obtain optimum connectivity.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No it wasn't a connection over the UI. I was remote to my Network and used a browser to connect to my BI using a link with my WAN Ip address. So it might have been the connected network as I didn't think about doing a speed test at the remote location at the time. I have tested the connection a few times a day right now showing some friends how easy it is to connect using BI remotely. My guess is that is how it is setup and if wanted better connection just make the change out of VBR view. I don't normally push BI but have a few friends that are in need of some Extra AI and wants access to that while away form the connected location. So after seeing how I had my BI setup with the cameras and what it was able to do they wanted BI but only if I would help them be able to connect remotely. So I was sure looking over the software it was easy to setup a remote connection so I went to show and help install BI.
Also just testing from my cellphone I will admit that even in VBR mode it looked almost just as good as it does when I move over to normal 1080p 2MP See the picture below. You can see that the Cellphone is connected using 5G and not my local wireless. Took the 2 images and made into 1 seeing it was easier to do so.
Screenshot (779).png
Screenshot (779).png (811.81 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Pretty cool. Curious about what actual solution you implemented. You said 'tunnel' vs. 'vpn' which can frequently be interchanged terms to basically describe the same thing -- establishing a secure encrypted connection to a remote network (or device).

ZeroTier seems to be the most widely preferred solution for BI these days with Tailscale right on its heels.

Then there's Wireguard, etc...., An older but interesting thread comparing most of the players in the arena...
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/com ... e_fastest/

And we can't forget OpenVPN (among others) in that particular realm.

I personally don't need such access, but from what I've read and seen on YouTube, ZeroTier looks like the most user friendly while still being more than adequately up to the task and would be my first choice.

Nice to see you finally getting some mileage out of BI.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting, I just use the one that BI had in the software already seeing it was there I thought sure why not lol. Interesting no one talked about it. NGROK. Free option is what I am using for BI at this time. However I have some ideas that I might be going to a pay account before long. Only thing that seems to fail for BI connection is UI3serviceworker.js all other have passing good connection. So kind of cool with options even the free service has. Picture below shows some info about the program. I turned it off brought back up before running starting command so I could show info that isn't showing when the system is running..
Screenshot (783).png
Screenshot (783).png (41.26 KiB) Viewed 6419 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

here is a little webpage of the server that has log tracking and info that can be helpful.
Screenshot (784).png
Screenshot (784).png (65.44 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I forgot about NGROK but now recall threads about it since you jogged my memory. Way too much stuff to keep track of!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

For me this was fast easy and able to help my friends without to much effort. I don't seem to have any issues making connections and my access on my IP is not open if someone was just scanning IP address for open webservers or things like that. They would need to know the Tunnel address to access and it changes every time I restart the service. So if I happen to have had an issue with lets say someone I gave access to. I could re start the system and the address changes so now they would have to try many combos to locate the right one. Now I don't know maybe there is a database that someone has with all the tunnel addresses then that could be a different issue all together.
Screenshot (785).png
Screenshot (785).png (99.13 KiB) Viewed 6412 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I thought I would post this. It was from yesterday having some work done on my street and this was the playback from my Phone. While I was local to my network I have the Wifi turned off and this is accessed using my Cell 5G internet. I have used this a few different times showing friends how easy it is to access the Blue Iris Server remote. Even showing them from their own Internet on PC and Mac.

The service that was offered in my Bi was NGROK and it seems to work great. There might be better tunnel services out there, This one is free and works.

Only thing I took out was the address and the Lic Plate number of the dump truck. The rest is just how it was displayed even showing 2 dates because I guess the way the screen was positioned. Playback was smooth and I will admit that there are times in this version of Bi (Current updated) when in playback and if there is an event that happens when a car goes by the CPU does go to 100% I have only had it crash Bi once so far. That could be because there is other things that are running in the background. I still have not moved the AI server to another PC. As soon as I get a new cooler for one of my other higher end PC's I will do that.
Screenshot_20231216_045337_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231216_045337_Chrome.jpg (637.99 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Be Safe.