Ok so I will try again lol

Have some questions or having issues with Blue Iris? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Ok so I will try again lol

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok Well I am going to in the next week or so move my current gaming rig into my Security Rig. I am not sure how or if I will be able to move my BI but I am buying a new PC for gaming and my current rig isn't much to talk about but maybe it will be much better then my way older one from 2016 it is running (Bi) on now i7-7700 and GTX1050ti lol. So upgrading to a CPU of i7-10700 and GPU is only a GTX-2070. I know I should really wait a couple more months before I buy my new gamming rig but Cyber Power that most of my Desktop gaming rigs have been since 2012 has offered me a deal that I couldn't pass up. i7-13700kf and GTX-4070 12gb, and 32gb ram with 3tb total drive so I thought why not now, I don't need a 14700 that I would have upgraded to later this year..

Plus moving to a Desktop for BI might be better then trying to run it on my old ROG Strix Laptop. I mean the poor gaming HDD no longer works and changed out for a non gamming HDD the SSD is still in good working order.

So anyone ever upgrade a BI PC? Are we able to move from 1 computer to another? Or is it stuck on the one that I installed it on first?
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

So I just wrote a rather lengthy reply to your post just to have it vaporize when I hit 'submit'. Cool.

The short answer is 'yes', but have your license key handy to make it go smoothly. I'll try to reconstruct some of my other observations in a later post.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

So will I. LOL

To put your upgrade in perspective performance-wise, my BI rig is a modest Dell Opti 7020 with an i7 4790, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD and a 500GB HDD. No add-on GPU, just the Quick Link HA encode/decode of the i7 onboard GPU. I run 20 cameras of all flavors and resolutions at an average 13% CPU efficiency rate with the GPU a little higher. Storage is not a huge issue for me as I've primarily been a motion / clips vs. 24/7 recording kind of user but just bought a 4TB HDD to replace the little one and will be moving quite a few things around myself. My only technical drawback with a 4th Gen processor is Quick Sync didn't begin supporting H265 until Gen 6. Otherwise, any H265 processing is handled by the CPU which can increase the load rather quickly if used on very many cameras. I just don't use it and have no reason to start any time soon.

The other possible reason to use a later generation Intel processor (8 and above) would be for the extra horsepower AI can require, along with the system requirements for Windows 11. Some folks will also claim that later generation processors are actually less efficient handling BI requirements than the earlier Gen 6 ~ 8 devices. Too much to unpack there, so I won't even try. LOL

The key to everything with Blue Iris is the sub-streams and understanding their integration into how triggering is achieved and configured. That also goes for the AI stuff which many folks suggest a dedicated server being used to mitigate the processing load and distribute / balance functionality between basic and more complex detection operations. I would hope they don't live within 5 miles of a public school and are kept well away from small animals, myself, but that's just me. LOL

Back to the main question: Migrating BI to a new system is basically the same as an initial installation with the exception of any existing directory structure / database contents that require preservation. If those areas are not of major concern, just back up your settings to import later and start from scratch on the new box or drives. Much simpler than cloning drives and moving directories and having to figure out why none of it went according to plan.

Having your license key handy is a pre-requisite to doing all this efficiently. Too many posts in too many places crying the blues about the hassle involved after they tried to do it half-assed.

I'm on version 5.7.4.2 and have found it to be quite stable compared to a couple of other upgrade disasters that sent me scurrying back to my original v5.5x to regain my sanity. Lots of horror stories about indiscriminate upgrades -- most of which are unnecessary for most users anyway unless a major security issue is involved. If there were ever an "If it ain't broke..." example of software out there, Blue Iris is it. LOL

Good luck with the new boxes and migration.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Thank you for the info. Glad to hear I shouldn't have any issues on the swap. So AI is one of the reasons I thought the change was good idea. I still have not had any luck for constant AI. I did get it to work once for maybe 4 events and not making any changes in the settings. Just a computer reboot and the system no longer wants to do AI things so I gave up for the time being lol. I mean my cameras working on my NVR's so it wasn't that important.

Again Thank you..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So one of the things I like about BI, I will admit there are some things that can turn a normal Zoom camera without Guard setup in to one that does. I setup my 2mp 10x zoom TVI camera that I have setup on my 8m16-H5 that looks at the road. Normally if I move the zoom level I have to return it to Preset 1 or what ever the last preset I had it on before I walk away form the DVR.. With BI if I setup a Preset setting to work from x to z and then again another preset time from z to x if I zoom or go to a different preset the camera will return back to the one it is Scheduled to be ran at in the time your in.. I mean most of my PTZ cameras that were quality of any sort has a Guard Position if you turn it on. I do have a Cheap PTZ camera that preset 1 is where it returns all the time and no setup needed. Don't want to have it go back to any preset at any time normally then don't setup a Preset 1 and it will have nothing to go back to.. Where you put it, it will stay..
Be Safe.