How to test that Bi is detecting Motion or IVS events

Have some questions or having issues with Blue Iris? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

How to test that Bi is detecting Motion or IVS events

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So is there any way to test a connection in Bi to know for sure that the camera is setup for Motion or other AI triggers? Used to work however now only events that I can get to trigger are ones that I do manually. Also seems that the AI function that was installed isn't working either.

One last thing on my AI cameras setup with IVS rules is Bi Able to use them rules or does it have to be setup within the AI portion of BI only?

For now I removed all my systems from Bi and only have 4 connected cameras for testing out a few things. I am going to move the system to a different computer, however might move it to a different Desktop. Might move it over to my i7-5820k 32gb ram machine. I know it seems like step backwards because of age, However it is a Desktop and I think the current running machine is just having issues because it is a Laptop. Also even though there is a 2 years difference between the current 7700 however the 5820 is a faster machine. I should have started with that to start with yet I wanted Bi on a Computer that is only setup for Bi for the most part.

Anyway asking about testing for Motion and what not because with over 300 events on my NVR from the connected camera on Bi it only has 1 detection and that is after I started typing this like it knows I am talking about it lol..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Re: How to test that Bi is detecting Motion or IVS events

Post by Pogo »

The Status window will show the trigger, motion and alert activity among a variety of other valuable items. Multiple selection tabs navigate to other areas of interest for their status as well.
BI  Status 7-12-23.jpg
BI Status 7-12-23.jpg (400.97 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
Individual camera IVS rules may or may not work using the ONVIF trigger option in BI's camera configuration options. Hit and miss from what I understand as I don't have any AI cameras to try it out.

Stand by and I'll post a few more pics that will help with the general Motion event settings. (Will be busy with the woodpile this morning. LOL)

Glad to see you revisiting BI as an additional asset to your systems.

One item you may want to consider regarding your dedicated desktop box build would be to use at least a Gen 6 Intel processor for H265 capability via the integrated QuickSync GPU. H265 was not supported by QuickSync until the Gen 6 processors. As mentioned elsewhere, additional add-on GPUs are generally not used (or necessary) with Blue Iris since it was designed around Intel devices running on a Windows platform. The exception seems to be when CPAI becomes involved -- and how involved it becomes in the overall scheme of the system. Some users implement completely separate servers just to run the CPAI component. A bit of overkill imho..., for a beta project in progress no less.

More later.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

BTW, it knows you're talking about it.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Basic motion activation with basic trigger parameters. The re-trigger setting of 'within 10 seconds' allows for additional triggering of the same event or a series of shorter events totaling a maximum event(s) duration 300 seconds / 5 minutes for that particular series of triggers, then starts over if the activity is ongoing. I find it a good general setting as a clips-based user. It also ties into my storage settings which provide for 15 minute clip segments which can actually span a significant period of time depending the number of triggers and amount of activity involved. Easy to quickly scrub through several hours of clips in only a few minutes using the Clip Viewer in 'selected camera only' mode which singles out clips for whichever camera is selected.
Motion A.jpg
Motion A.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

General sensor sensitivity settings for a fairly trigger happy result on the surface that is actually tempered quite a bit by the motion object detection parameters which are movement related vs. just motion alone. Zones are self-explanatory with hot spots having no rules or parameters whatsoever and anything that occurs in a hot spot causes a trigger -- sort of the "In case of Fire Break Glass" zone.

The 'Make Time' is how fast a trigger will initiate and can be set according to the type of activity anticipated (or generally encountered).

The algorithm is debated with the general consensus being Edge Vector for basic use and 'Simple' when AI aspects are more prevalent in the setup..., or maybe it's the other way around, or it doesn't matter? I stick with the Edge Vector default and it seems to work fine for my purposes. I've tried Simple and detected no difference.
Motion B.jpg
Motion B.jpg (95.93 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Tuning basic motion detection settings by establishing object qualifiers is helpful in reducing random triggering from bugs and other such annoyances. It obviously works alongside the other settings and requires a fair amount of trial and error for any given application until you have a feel for it. It's not a must for every situation, but can provide a bit more finesse to the power of the sub-stream pixels in determining the effectiveness of the other settings involved. Understanding the sub-stream resolution and the associated pixel size relative to the image is essential to taking advantage of this feature.
Object A.jpg
Object A.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Well, two extensive posts with attachments just vanished again so I'm calling it a night and will follow up at another time.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Thank you for all the info. I was kind of busy today so first time getting back to a connected PC for checking the forum. I will be setting up Bi in the 10700 PC tonight or tomorrow. This will give me some more things to enter into the Bi Setup. It is strange that it was working and when I removed some devices it stopped working. I do have my 8mp cameras connected at 8mp and they seem to stream in Bi fine. I might have forgot a few steps when adding them back so no fault other then mine.. Again trying to setup like I can in my NVR's lol..

Thank you again for the Info..
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

This will be a condensed version of last evening's effort to wrap up a couple of my basic setups -- and I do mean basic.

These are simple zone examples using my main driveway. Zone A is the default active zone for all cameras. Additional zones B through G can be added in a variety of combinations for any number of actions with object zone crossings as triggers being one of the most common. Zone A is self-explanatory with respect to the most common settings and general motion setups. Zone H is a Hot Spot zone that does not use any rules or settings and simply provides a trigger for virtually anything that occurs within the zone -- basically an "In Case of Emergency, Break Glass" solution for very few situations (and I believe I'm repeating myself).

The blanket Zone A setup for my driveway is generally based on the settings in the previous examples and is pretty effective at just grabbing vehicle and larger object traffic without too many nuisance triggers during the day but can also detect a chipmunk running across the drive out around 30 feet from the camera. The same settings are susceptible to a certain amount of annoyance triggers at night due to the high contrast settings being used to more accurately detect night time wildlife. The Object detection settings in the previous post help reduce triggers from bugs and other airborne stuff and can even handle a fair amount of web activity without generating a trigger. Took awhile to zero in, but it's working pretty well for the purpose with no dedicated AI support involved. This camera is only for recording clips. No alerts involved.
Zones A.jpg
Zones A.jpg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
The next example is a clone entry for the same camera, again using Zone A. Cloning creates another virtual camera from the streams of the original camera with almost zero additional overhead put on the CPU. A very handy way to easily create 'on the fly' zone and trigger setups and very useful for performance comparisons of different settings applied to the same camera simultaneously in a testing or lab environment. Pretty cool. The following example is the result of just being lazy instead of figuring out how to do it effectively on the main camera along with the main blanket A zone. Sounds like it should be easy, right? Not exactly. LOL I bailed and went the easy route to basically set a very small A zone at the drive entrance to trigger an alert via SMS to my phone which is subsequently supported by the clip settings I have for the main camera to record any subsequent activity. Very, very few false alerts with this particular setup -- basically a 'poor man's trip wire. Klunky and could still use a tweak or two, but works well.

{attachment=0]Zones B.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Zones B.jpg
Zones B.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Last edited by Pogo on Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I'll close this out with my basic clip recording settings. When triggered, recording starts with the 'New' folder as the destination. A 2 second pre-trigger record buffer works fine for my general purposes. The Combine or Cut settings are very short and small compared to the defaults. This accommodates the Break Time trigger settings shown in the first post which effectively provide 5 minute clips of single or combined events that are then saved as 15 minute shorts with the 500MB file size being set way too high on purpose knowing it will never be reached. Using the 'Selected Clip Only' feature in the clip list / viewer to list only the selected camera's clips for review is an extremely efficient method for scrubbing through a day's worth of clips quickly and identifying areas of interest to be further investigate via the time line.
Record A.jpg
Record A.jpg (110.25 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
The remaining settings are the defaults with the exception of the 'Video file format and compression' setting which defaults to 'encoding' when Direct to Disk does exactly what it sounds like it does and saves the encoding for the export process resulting in a huge benefit for CPU efficiency. Direct to disk is what you want.
D2D.jpg
D2D.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 4341 times