Blue Iris on DDWRT Client Bridge

Have some questions or having issues with Blue Iris? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
jcjredhead

Blue Iris on DDWRT Client Bridge

Post by jcjredhead »

My set-up...(main router=192.168.1.1; Client Bridge=192.168.1.2)

I have a computer running Blue Iris 5. This computer is connected to a router running DDWRT as a client bridge (same subnet as main router). The client bridge router has 2 PoE cameras connected to it via a PoE switch. The cameras, bridge router, and computer all have static IP's assigned via my main router (Linksys brand). Everything functions perfectly on the computer software. And via the app on my phone, but only when connected to the home Wi-Fi.

The Blue Iris remote wizard runs great until I get to the router IP address and internet/WAN address page. The router IP is correct and shows my main router IP and not the Client Bridge IP. But the "Internet/WAN IP always shows 127.0.0.1

I have set up port forwarding (port 81) from my main router to the Client Bridge, and from the Client Bridge to the Blue Iris computer. Still no joy. Can anyone help?

PS- if I were to set this up with a different subnet (Client Bridge=192.168.2.1), can it be accessed remotely as well, with a similar solution. I tried the system that way first with no joy. So I reconfigured the Client Bridge with the same subnet...still didn't work.
amcrest168

Re: Blue Iris on DDWRT Client Bridge

Post by amcrest168 »

jcjredhead wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:22 am
I have set up port forwarding (port 81) from my main router to the Client Bridge, and from the Client Bridge to the Blue Iris computer. Still no joy. Can anyone help?
hi @jcjredhead and welcome to the forum. the easiest is to assign a static ip 192.168.1.2 to your ddwrt router and ensure its dhcp is off. set up port forwarding on your main router to the bridged client computer that is running the blue iris just like as if you don't have the a ddwrt router. do not set up port forwarding to the ddwrt router because it's just serving as a wireless client bridge.
jcjredhead

Post by jcjredhead »

Still not working.
I've reconfigured the DDWRT to a repeater bridge with the same subnet as my main router. Set up port forwarding to my computer's static IP. Set up a noip.com and punched in *****.hopto.org:81 to the WAN address in Blue Iris. Still nothing. Get an error...cannot retrieve IP address.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

you really don't need to do anything special with the ddwrt bridge once the main router is able to assign an ip address for the blue iris computer--the ddwrt bridge becomes transparent. all the port forwarding has to be done at your main router. remove the ddwrt from your network and do the port forwarding from your main router to your blue iris computer. test it and see if you're able to see its ip address. i suspect you may have missed something because it has nothing to do with the ddwrt wireless bridging.
jcjredhead

Post by jcjredhead »

My main router is showing that I have an single port forward set up for port 81 to my blue Iris computer. I am suspecting that the router isn't actually forwarding that port. I ran an canyouseeme.com on port 80 on the blue Iris computer and it failed, but port 81 was successful. I'll try hooking up the computer directly tomorrow and update with the results. My main router is a Linksys EA7500, by the way, running factory firmware.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

port forwarding on a linksys router running on factory firmware should be ok when it's a standard feature found in all home routers. i would not have selected port 80. you can try using an open port like 81 or 481 for blue iris. good luck.
jcjredhead

Post by jcjredhead »

I have determined that my router is not allowing communication on port 81. I ran the noip.com device set-up help wizard and it cannot communicate to my router on port 80 or 81.

Do you think flashing my main router with DDWRT would help?
jcjredhead

Post by jcjredhead »

Success!!! I ended up having to put the noip.com info in my router instead of using their program that runs on the computer. Thank you so much for your time and patience! It was greatly appreciated!
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

good to hear you figured it out. there is really no need to flash your main router with ddwrt unless you need a feature that is not found on the factory firmware. another consideration to use ddwrt or openwrt is when the oem has stopped releasing newer firmware for discontinued or older routers that may have security vulnerabilities. take care for now.