Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest View Pro, Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
kenf

Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Post by kenf »

I have an Android/OnePlus phone and was able to connect using cellular until December. It's odd that I can view the remote camera on my phone with a WIFI connect but not cellular-only. I've checked that the camera is setup with type "P2P" and I've checked my phone to confirm mobile data is allowed for the View Pro app and during background operation. I also tried deleting the camera and adding it back to the app using the POE/P2P option.

Any idea what prevents the cellular-only P2P connection from working? Does the P2P server not like AT&T?

kenf
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

At this time there seems to be an Issue with ATT using P2P
Be Safe.
kenf

Re: Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Post by kenf »

@Revo2Maxx , thanks for the quick reply!

Was this intentional by AT&T or do they consider it a bug that will be fixed in their next cellular network update?

kenf
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I don't know. My guess is there is something that has changed in how the APP was built to start with. It was a few years ago there was another issue again on ATT and after an update things were not working as it once did. It took some time to come up with a Solution, At some point Amcrest did get an update that fixed it. I know it isn't really 100% related however my Email service just changed how they will provide SMTP service starting Feb 1st. So as of then about 1/2 of my recorders will not be able to access my normal email server. The difference between what happen with my Email Server Host, Is they own the company that is providing the service and know that they will be changing how that works. Used to be smtp.myserver.com and now it has some crazy string like netsol-smtp-xxxx.hostingplatform.com only the xxxx are different then the normal incase they are a direct link to my server as I don't need extra issues. Problem is my 4216E-AI on the last offered FW only will let me enter up to the part just before .com so I can't use my email with my 4216E-AI NVR anymore after Feb 1st. Yet it will work with my dahua recorders and Ip cameras and my newer cameras like Amcrest 2685EW-AI and my newer NVR the 4108-A2 I can enter the new email SMTP server details. I can't be mad at Amcrest because my Service provider changed the way it was once working to a more secure way of providing email service to their clients.. I hope that my NVR will get an update that will let it work.. If not maybe I will have to re-set up my own local Email server again. Would have to setup a MX Record, DNS, IP that is linked to my server and last time I had this was in 19-22.. Or find a new host that uses the normal SMTP setup..

Sorry off point lol.. Anyway I have talked with Amcrest about ATT issues and iOS devices. Was told the R&D is working on a solution. Oh as was saying though., Because my host is the provider and server there is only 1 person and because the service is paid for they gave us an update back in NOV they were changing SMTP service address and that is one thing that is missing from having a Cell service that isn't connected to Amcrest nor do they tell anyone what changes are made or what is needed to fix a connection issue. It might be there is port restrictions on the Cell network now that once was not there in the last software that was working in before.. Hard to say... So in Trial and Error Amcrest R&D I am sure will find a solution. If you use your phone at home using your Chrome browser from time to time maybe setup NGROK or ServeO IF you want to check out what ServeO can do click the https://8d2539d50c413293c2ef6d3b36a2a86e.serveo.net That will take you to my PHPBB Forum on my own computer on my own Network that has no Public IP connected to the internet and is behind 2 routers with blocks in place that makes it so there are no ports exposed to internet threats. I will leave that link valid for 24 hrs..
Be Safe.
Crewsk15

Post by Crewsk15 »

To confirm, I have been experiencing this since the update to IOS in December. Kicker here is my wife's phone is not updated, and I can still view cameras using her phone, or connecting to her hot spot. Get this, APPLE indicates it is a security vulnerability where Amcrest App needs to be updated. It hasn't been updated since Aug '23. I have an outstanding ticket with Amcrest and am patiently awaiting their reply.

Anyone else stumble across a fix? Thanks, Kevin
kenf

Post by kenf »

@Revo2Maxx , I noticed cellular access worked for a couple days earlier this week but it stopped working yesterday and today. Have you heard anything new from the R&D team that is working on this issue?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No last I heard the day first reported it was working for some users. That they were working on trying to find the source of the issue. Some issues the R&D could run into trying to find problem is 1 they can't find device they own that has the problem, this means they will have to rely on the input from others. So then looking in logs if there is no entry of failed connections (because no one trying to connect.)
Outside of that they are working on it.
Be Safe.
kenf

Post by kenf »

@Revo2Maxx , let them know that whatever they tried on Feb 5th & 6th worked. I'll try to test the cellular access at least once a day so it hits their logs and I'll post any success I have.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I did let Amcrest know there was some time it was working again. My guess is they are in Discovery Phases of knowing what the problem is. It might be that they opened it to allow other devices access so they could take that data and see if the real rejected connections are the same as the tested rejected ones after the fact.. One of the issues of having Random connection issues is that there is a lot of trial and error testing that may need to take place.
Be Safe.
kenf

Post by kenf »

@Revo2Maxx , what US cellular networks does View Pro work with?