Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest View Pro, Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I don't know? I know it works with mine and that is Verizon however to be honest a couple of years ago when another user was having issues they had the same network as mine Verizon and I could connect to mine, They gave me their info and I was able to connect to theirs and they were not.. Why I even got the info from them for connection to their device was because offered them to connect to mine and they were able to connect to my system using the Cell Service. So they were like lets see if you can connect to mine and I was able to..

What is odd is that there are some people that have issues on Att and there are some that are able to access on Att my guess is maybe older phone or device and what ever is making it not work with current users might have some newer higher security update that the older devices don't have.

What I don't understand is that people are saying it isn't only related to Cell service. Yet I am not sure how that works. If there is an issue where another system outside of ATT right now it might be an ISP related issue or the Home Service that is being used might be on the same path as the ATT network? That would have to be looked at with some networking tools to see if the route from Cell Service and Home Service share something in the path between A and B.. If there is a Common link it could be something within that network provider..

My home Provider is Spectrum and I have access to my Recorders in CA, WA, AZ and in PA. I also have access to my devices local to me using ASP. I also have some devices connected using Orion and wanted to test out using P2P on there as well. It works on both ASP and Orion.

So to give an idea what I mean about an issue with a common connection point in a route, I just did a Traceroute from my Spectrum service to my webserver that is hosted in a Data Center in Amsterdam on a Level3 connected network. Lets say I had some issues and everything led to that IP, Then there could be an issue at that point because that is the common area where that device is located and a Trace from my Phone and Computer make it to that point past that my Web Server Provider is able to access the requested resource. and they are able to on the other side of that Ip then we can conclude that there might be an issue with that area because all hops before that area from my phone belong to Verizon and from my Server box doing a Trace to my Local webserver, it is all related to charter and spectrum that is owned by Charter so that is all as expected only common link before things didn't work was the 1 IP that is in Amsterdam.. What I am saying is in trying to find something that would be for users that say they have issues not only related to Cell network connection because it is also from home. There might have been some update done with the local or remote service.. However if there was no issue using my home network and only my cell network then the issue could/would be related to something within my service or again a Router that is between location 1 and 2..

I am not 100% sold that the issue is related to Amcrest P2P server. Issue is when using a VPN all it does is change the route your current location is going to travel. With a VPN you get a new IP address that is then setup to run a route from that VPN IP locations and it pushes past all the normal connected routers between your real current location and the Remote device.. Doing a Route from your real IP and a VPN Ip show different hop count and router locations. If you happen to find a VPN Route that was also blocked along with your real local IP doing a Trace between the 2 might show where the common link is. That could also be hard to know for sure because some companies use same hardware in different locations that would use the same software update that has caused the issue and might be owned by same company but is being ran though a COLO so the ID of that route might not even show the true offending service.
Be Safe.
kenf

Re: Phone can access out-of-town camera while connected to WIFI but not with cellular-only connection, any ideas?

Post by kenf »

I can connect to my SmartHome Amcrest camera (serial number Z...) using cellular only but not my PoE cameras (serial number AMC...) - so the issue is also camera specific.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

If you have push enabled, I am wondering if you still get Push alerts while off your devices connected network?

Yes SH and Normal Camera traffic are going to different type server data centers.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@kenf Just thought of something. This is something I can't do because I don't have any issues with any of my devices. However here is an idea. Doing this will have no effect on your system. Not sure what you are working with but hopefully it is a device with the active role of forgot password recovery.

Easiest using an NVR like a 4108-A2 or older 4108E-HS or regular HS as long as it has a FW with the option in it.. Go to the web browser, type in the Ip address for the NVR, then on the page where you put in your user and password there should be a clickable link that says Forgot Password. Click that, It may prompt you that it wants to get some data click yes, Then next page will be a QR code scan that code and send to the Email address on that page and let me know what you get from a reply. This can take a little time. Most times it is a fast within 10 min reply some times it is longer.

Don't want to know the Code, I just want to know if you get an Email reply with a Code?

If you didn't setup your device with email recovery could you for testing. If This affected me I would do it my self. Also getting the code back you don't have to reset your devices password just wondering if it would even send you the code back..

Left part of picture is first page on WebUI of the device center of picture is second page if it don't ask to get data. Some do some don't and just take you to the QR page..
Screenshot (1427).png
Screenshot (1427).png (319.23 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Be Safe.
kenf

Post by kenf »

@Revo2Maxx , I don't have an NVR.
kenf

Post by kenf »

Is there another P2P app I should be using until View Pro is fixed??? I see there are several in the Android Play Store.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well for Amcrest there is only AVP and AVP2. There are some things with AVP2 that makes me want to pull my hair out lol JK but gets on my nerves lol. However my guess is if it isn't working with AVP then it won't work with AVP2..

How many devices are you working with? How many do you need to access while away. Can you get away with using 1 device like DVR/NVR or in need for all? What I mean is normally are you lets say using your app to view and playback a Recorder or access many single cameras. If able to use a single connection point for the time I would look into using NGROK for a single connection point it is free for 1 connection. Only draw back on this is your connection would be using your Phones Chrome App or other browser app you normally would use. However it is a temp way to get past an issue with P2P..
Be Safe.
kenf

Post by kenf »

I'm trying to access 2 remote cameras located in 2 different cities. Does AVP work with T-Mobile or would I run into the same P2P issue?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I don't know. back some time ago it was reported that ATT and T-Mobile would become one. However that didn't happen. What I do know is they use the same type hardware for cell service and CO-LO towers. Because they share same tech my guess is the issue might be with T-Mobile as well. However maybe there are others in the Forum with T-Mobile that know for sure if they still have access or not..

2 different locations in theory would still work.. Only down side to any pass though is there would be a need for a computer running at the camera site running NGROK. Setting up each location with the respectful link to each location you will be able to make a connection. IT isn't as easy as just using the App but something that could get you by, another way and much easier way would be use some type of free VPN on your cell phone so you can use the app like the others are doing at this time until system is fixed.
Be Safe.
kenf

Post by kenf »

NGROK isn't an option due to the computer requirement.

How does the free VPN on the cellphone work? Does it just allow you to connect to a home computer that can access the remote cameras (like RealVNC)?