Amcrest view pro other camera brands

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest View Pro, Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Oceanfrontview

Amcrest view pro other camera brands

Post by Oceanfrontview »

Hi I have been using amcrest view pro with some amcrest camera and it worked fine. I have 1 camera for a special application that is a different brand and I thought I would try it. It configured just fine using P2P and I thought great. But when I tried to access it from outside my home network it won't connect.

I would really like to know if Amcrest view pro is deliberately blocking this off brand camera some how?

Should this work if it is P2P?
Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest view pro other camera brands

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

It is odd that you were able to program AVP to work P2P with a camera that isn't an Amcrest Camera... To your answer No. P2P is setup for service provider hardware only. Now having said that I will admit that I have some hardware that I have installed on other platforms that would work with that platform. I then put on Hikvision FW because the camera was damaged to the point that the OEM software was no longer working. However found it odd like in your case the camera worked on the other platform while at home even when it was setup using P2P to start. However when I try to use it while away or with my LOCAL Network off I wouldn't get any playback, push or anything. I come back into my network and it worked. I thought it was related to the idea that the SN for the device was theirs and that was still in it even though it has Hikvision FW on it.. What is odd is that Amcrest would let a non Amcrest device on the system. I am going to guess that it must be some Dahua Based camera. So I was going to say maybe try DMSS from Dahua however I just tried it on one of my Amcrest devices that I have connected to P2P and Dahua comes with an error that it fails to connect..

So it is very odd that I did just test Amcrest AVP with a Dahua 4MP AI camera that I own and sure enough I was able to turn on my Dahua camera. So here is where I think (This is what I think) Because Amcrest updated the AVP to let the Amcrest Smart Home devices be setup using the AVP once the camera was setup with Smart home App first, Then you can enter it in AVP even though the SH products still work in AVP while off Wifi on your mobile wifi. However that is because it is a good Amcrest Device. So I think it was opened to be able to pull in other devices without the right SN for Amcrest devices as long as they are on Network and just run down the Ip path while local. Then because your device isn't Amcrest it won't let it pass for P2P outside of network...
Be Safe.
Oceanfrontview

Post by Oceanfrontview »

Hi thanks for the info.
Short term I have the camera setup for http with a port forward, I can at least view the camera from outside my network. Down the road I plan to move everything to blue iris
Thanks again.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I would look at an NVR. While BI has a place, If you want something that was meant for recording full time and runs on very little power when you compare it to a NVR it is night and day lower demand on your power bill over a computer that will need to stay online 24/7.

The next thing to think about, Amcrest using P2P I can access my Hikvision cameras and others that are not Amcrest Based over 1 connection P2P and is a safer bet for connection to a mobile app. Keep in mind that BI don't have access over P2P and that is mainly because the maker of the software understands that most of the cameras already will have P2P and think it isn't needed. However for me I like the idea of being out and using P2P to access my NVR's where like in the case of my 4216E-Ai, or my 4116E-HS I have access of 16 cameras from 1 device while away. Sure I will need to look over multi view or swipe right or left depending on what the current view channel is. However it is much faster and easier to access.

Just some ideas. I know some people like the software side of things however with an NVR that isn't left in plain view, if someone happens to break into your home and steals your computer and can't find the NVR you still have the footage of all things that happen that would be lost when they take your computer..
Be Safe.
Oceanfrontview

Post by Oceanfrontview »

I am not apposed to a NVR. I currently don't have a pc to run blue iris so I have to buy hardware anyway. My reasons for leaning towards blue iris is my IT guy at work uses it and he is able to connect all kinds of different brands of cameras to it and they all just work.

I just want to be able to run 7 cameras. But wanted different cameras for different things.
I have the Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) to monitor my fish tank equipment, it gives a nice wide viewing area and high resolution which allow me monitor for leaks, gages, equipment readouts, water levels etc. Works great.
To view the tank I have the 8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal IP Camera. It has the motorized zoom so I can just have the tank in the image from across the room.
Rest of the cameras will be for monitoring outdoors. I have not settled on what I want for that.

As for NVR or blue iris, I would just like it to record motion for a few seconds, send a notification of motion, also I would like to be able to connect it to a large TV through hdmi to display all cameras or just one, lastly want to be able to remote monitor any camera through cell phone. Really pretty basic stuff. Just want it to work well.

I will check out some of your NVR
Thanks
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Hello,

I'm a Blue Iris user and love it for many reasons. However, ease of fast and simple remote access to my cameras is not one of them! I originally also had a small Swann 720HD 1590 DVR with 8 cameras that was integrated with my Blue Iris setup. The two combined provided a nice mix of both analog and IP technology and Swann had a fairly decent app for remote viewing -- of the analog stuff at least.

As my interest and needs for a better setup grew, and since I already had coax wiring in place for my analog system, I started researching a higher quality hybrid replacement solution for my Swann system to integrate with my Blue Iris network.

This eventually led me to the Amcrest AMDV8M8-H5 hybrid DVR (XVR if you will) and it fit my needs perfectly and then some. https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Security ... B09V1XZ41F

The main feature of this unit is its flexibility to handle both analog and IP devices simultaneously. And while advertised as an 8 channel device, that's just the analog BNC cabled input channels. Four additional IP channels are available for a total of 12 active channels on the unit. But wait, there's more! You can also actually allocate the main BNC "channels" to IP cameras as well for up to a total of all 12 channels being used as IP channels -- which a dedicated NVR would be much more suited for, of course. The point is, the flexibility is there to do many things with all types of different cameras -- including, (or maybe especially), cameras that are primarily Blue Iris designated devices that you'd like redundancy for, a source to be conventiently displayed on a TV..., or easily accessed remotely with the Amcrest View Pro app. All apply in my case. Any camera from Blue Iris can be imported directly into the DVR over the network -- in most cases.

Another very important consideration is the economy aspect of using analog cameras for situations that don't require schmegapixel devices. There are plenty of pretty damned nice 2MP 1080P cameras out there for under $40, some as low as $20 if your needs are modest and you shop a little. You aren't stuck with having to only use Amcrest cameras, analog or IP. On the other hand, you can also use 4K cameras with it.

I have 16 cameras total. 12 are on both systems with the DVR obviously being the heart of the analog stuff along with providing redundancy for the IP cameras -- plus providing remote access viewing via the Amcrest View Pro app. And if I had to choose one system over the other it would be the AMDV8M8-H5 hands down for sheer simplicity, flexibility, reliability and economy. Nice little rock solid setup.