PC NVR not recording after camera firmware update

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Surveillance Pro? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
jack7

Re: PC NVR not recording after camera firmware update

Post by jack7 »

JonS,
I can find nothing in this forum, the firmware webpage, or the IP2M-841 firmware announcement email that says you cannot or should not downgrade IP2M-841B firmware dated 2019-8-3 to firmware dated 2017-06-29. Peter89 and nyclouie said in this thread that the the downgrade works. Peter89 said it again yesterday in a post in this thread. @Revo2Maxx, please cite some specific references to support your statement that it can't be done, or will brick.

I suggest you send an email to [email protected] with James.S in the email title so he will get it. James.S acknowledged the PC-NVR problem two months ago in this thread. If you wish, ask James.S to send you the firmware you need.

Another thing you could try is SmartPSS which has PV-NVR 3.0, a newer version. Perhaps it will work. See
https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-surve ... 12605.html
Release old PC-NVR storage if possible. After you uninstall Surveillance Pro and PC-NVR, do a PC restart to make sure PC-NVR is not still running. Then install SmartPSS and PC-NVR.

JonS wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 am I have the same problem with IP2M-841B - PC-NVR was working fine with out-of-the-box firmware. I upgraded to the latest firmware from the AMCREST website, exported settings, reset to factory defaults, imported settings I had previously exported. PC-NVR no longer worked. The solution in this thread of going back to the older firmware no longer is available because the older firmware isn't there anymore.

I have re-installed Amcrest Surveillance Pro/PC-NVR from scratch but PC-NVR still has no recordings. I can add the camera to PC-NVR and I see a valid thumbnail snapshot in the PC-NVR Remote Device screen. The recording plan for PC-NVR and for the camera both show Regular and Motion Detection enabled all day and every day. I have released and re-allocated PC-NVR disk space on multiple drives but that didn't help.

The camera event log shows that motion detection events are being triggered, but there is no saved video anywhere. I am able to make local recordings but they stop recording after about 30 minutes, so that isn't a reasonable alternative.

The original firmware that came with the camera was something with 520 in the name, and I think from 2017. Is it available anywhere? The current version is 2.420.AC00.18.R 2019-8-3, and since this thread hasn't been updated for two months, I'd prefer just to go back to the old firmware.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@jack7

Thanks for pointing this out. I did reach out to James and things should get cleared up soon. While I looked over things as well and while I did hear when it first came out and there was a Post that looks like was Deleted there is still the post about the JS FW in the Thread about the 841E and others under that FW listing of Cameras. In there is in RED with Caution While later in the posting it does say that the FRIMWARE they are dealing with in that thread is only for the Cameras listed. This Caution is as it states. Once Upgraded your not able OR as I put it Shouldn't try to go back to non JS FW as I have heard a FEW people that have Bricked their Cameras trying to do so. Copied from that page below.

:!: Caution :!:
Once upgraded you are not able to go back to a Non-Javascript Firmware.

I can't stop anyone from doing what ever they want with the cameras they own. I try and point out what may happen and only go by what I have done myself or heard others have done...

While I personally have not tried to go back. I took what I heard and was told when the FW first came out and base my info off that.

Here is the page where that Caution is posted At this time.
https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 12744.html
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
JonS

Post by JonS »

ivideon software from https://www.ivideon.com/ has no trouble doing local recording with the IP2M-841B running the newest firmware. I've configured Ivideon meanwhile - free for home use, for one camera at least. It still isn't acceptable that AMCREST recommends updating the firmware when there are issues like this one that are not resolved. A security camera that can't record isn't very useful.
JonS

Post by JonS »

To James' point about not being able to go back, James is referencing a forum post. It doesn't say that on the firmware download page for the camera that you're directed to for firmware upgrades.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@Revo2Maxx
You wrote:
"Here is the page where that Caution is posted At this time.
https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 12744.html "

That page with a caution is for the IP2M-841E firmware which is NOT the firmware for the IP2M-841B, the camera that this thread is about.
Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 pm @jack7

Thanks for pointing this out. I did reach out to James and things should get cleared up soon. While I looked over things as well and while I did hear when it first came out and there was a Post that looks like was Deleted there is still the post about the JS FW in the Thread about the 841E and others under that FW listing of Cameras. In there is in RED with Caution While later in the posting it does say that the FRIMWARE they are dealing with in that thread is only for the Cameras listed. This Caution is as it states. Once Upgraded your not able OR as I put it Shouldn't try to go back to non JS FW as I have heard a FEW people that have Bricked their Cameras trying to do so. Copied from that page below.

Once upgraded you are not able to go back to a Non-Javascript Firmware.

I can't stop anyone from doing what ever they want with the cameras they own. I try and point out what may happen and only go by what I have done myself or heard others have done...

While I personally have not tried to go back. I took what I heard and was told when the FW first came out and base my info off that.

Here is the page where that Caution is posted At this time.
https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... 12744.html
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah I guess you didn't read what I wrote. But it is ok. Don't have to point out what I already did. As I also said in my POST that you clearly quoted that there was other pages with same wording that was for the 841 in question and while that post has been removed it was the same Wording....

I was told and I base my information off facts that I gather. If the Firmware isn't listed on the Website that means it isn't something that is being offered, While I can't say they ever will offer it again or not it is clearly not able to be downloaded from Amcrest Website.

As i said in my Post that you Quoted. I can't stop anyone from doing what they will. However in most cases these cameras being updated are far past the Warranty period and if the camera becomes Bricked I tried to offer the best info that I could. "You shouldn't Try to DOWNGRADE this Camera."

In closing seeing you didn't read my last post you might not read this anyway. EVEN IF I PERSONALLY DOWN GRADED MY CAMERA I WOULDN'T MAKE SUCH A CLAIM because I wouldn't be happy if others took words that I did something and when they tried bricked their camera That at one point I remember it being STATED as I said just like it is stated for the 841E and such... While it was removed I clearly Remember reading the same Caution on the Normal 841 firmware page.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jack7

Post by jack7 »

I read your posts. Perhaps you are mistaken about some deleted Amcrest post you remember that said the IP2M-841 could not be downgraded. I remember you saying earlier that the posters who said downgrading worked may be mistaken. I'm done with this subject.
Jack
James.S

Post by James.S »

I would like to go ahead and clear this up, It is Not advisable to upgrade to our JS FW and then downgrade, the JS FW will be changing many settings within the operation of the camera. Downgrading from JS to the last non-JS firmware is very violent in the camera settings. You are running a high risk of a part of the camera not fully restoring to Non-JS function.

Also, JS fixes a vulnerability that we have had many customers state needed to be resolved.

Amcrest does NOT recommend downgrading and in many situations have removed access to previous FW. downloads.
This is for ALL JavaScript enabled devices.