NVR VS PC-NVR

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Surveillance Pro? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
RAMCREST644

NVR VS PC-NVR

Post by RAMCREST644 »

Hello folks,
I am wondering if I built a PC with high performance, Win 10, M.2 for OS, HDD for video, multi gigabit networks, high GPU run with PC-NVR and Surveillance Pro will be better than the NVR unit for performance to use and better security ?

Thanks!
jack7

Re: NVR VS PC-NVR

Post by jack7 »

If you build a high powered PC, I suggest you consider Blue Iris software.  Here's a simIlar post to yours on another forum.
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/good-morn ... ost-602177

Amcrest Surveillance Pro is about the same as SmartPSS.  Amcrest is a Dahua OEM.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are many things to consider when your looking at ASP as your NVR if you will. In truth it is better to just by a stand alone NVR over building a PC to run ASP with PC-NVR.. Sure it can be done but it is no where as good as a stand alone NVR. Here is one reason, I have not tested it on my newest computers because I don't want to pack a bunch of software on my new game machine but may in the near future. However I have tried it on a few older game machines, However one of my older ones I just made a post not long ago about ASP showing I was in the Red when looking at my Computers info I was not even having a hard time. The system was using the normal Intel Video and not even using the Video Card, The Numbers of the CPU and Ram were in very little use and yet ASP was saying that the CPU was at 100%.. Now to be fair that test was on my ROG Gamming Laptop from a few years ago so it isn't by any means a high Quality PC by today standards.
https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 399#p38399

Now I have a good few NVR's and DVR's in my mix and I can tell you that one of the main things and others will Disagree and I can say I have done much testing. But #1 thing about having a NVR over BI or PC-NVR is Cost of running the recorder, #2 The Recorder don't do any background updates and run bloat wares in the background, make scans of the footages everytime they are uploaded to the computers HDD the NVR is a NETWORK VIDEO RECORDER designed to record.

As I was saying before even with a computer that is using low wattage PSU and GPU and CPU it takes a larger Power supply to run the system because of all the system process that it has to do in the background that isn't even related to your Security system.

So lets look at what I will call my 2 power house systems.
1 Amcrest NVR NV4216E-AI new without HDD 479.99 (Installed 2 HDD. 1, 4tb Security Drive, 2, 6tb Security Drive). 16ch POE Port NVR with 4 Channel AI built in, Either Face Detection or Recognition or IVS rules for lines Crossing or Intrusion with Vehicle or Human only.

2 New Computer 4 months old now, Intel i7 11700 with 16gb Ram, 1tb WD Blue SSD, 4tb WD Blue HDD, RTX3070 8gb. 2300+ Comes with 800w PSU.

Then for me to run BI I would have to invest in that, Plus buy the yearly package or maybe it is only a 1 time deal not sure but 60.

Hate to say that for a POE NVR running 16 POE cameras the cost of Power every year will be less then 200 a year from the NVR. No Updates every day or every week, no software being used in the back ground making the system run hotter or make it use more then normal power for use like a PC.
HOWEVER
To Run a PC Lets give it the Benefit of the doubt, Lets say it runs very clean 350watts and not the 800w that the power supply supports. Power alone to run a 350w power supply 24/7 365days a year would cost over 400 a year. Computer cost more, Computer uses more resources then a NVR will,

So in the pictures above I wasn't able to get a Screen shot of the Meter in ASP but if you blow up that picture by right clicking and open in new tab, YOu can see the meter is Red. click that meter and in ASP it said my CPU was 100% but you can see the info from my computer and it wasn't even trying hard so NOt sure why ASP was reporting what it was about the system.

Personally I would use a NVR (as I have said I have a good Few) and then you could use ASP to view your cameras either from your NVR or if you went with a non POE nvr then could keep an eye though each of the cameras. Remote room from your Security room, closet or somewhere out of site out of mind..

In the End each is their own. Not wanting to spend extra cash on a High end computer and the costly fee to keep it running to replace things that fail because the PC wasn't designed to run 24/7 most of them, you can find data saying computer was designed for normal use 3 to 4 hours a day. NVR will out last a PC as they were designed to stay on 24/7 and run at constant High speed..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
RAMCREST644

Post by RAMCREST644 »

Agreed about PC is a kinda waste... The reason I asked is that I am complaining about video lagging from any of ASP. I believe my old NVR NV4116E is NOT gigabit network but I do have 100% CAT-6 cable whole house and gigabit switch (non-POE). I guess I have to buy an NV5216 or NV5232 without POE ports and buying a 48 POE gigabit switch might be better.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Cameras don't do Gigabit.. I have a Gigabit switch for my normal devices and my 4116E-HS isn't on a gig, My 4216 is, 2116-hs was, and my 7108-AI dVR is and a few other recorders I own.. But no cameras are so

Personally a 4216E-HS has 16ch POE and will power POE + Devices get that and power your cameras only 1 cable on your Network taking up traffic and less chance of hackers taking control of your cameras only 1 IP address have to deal with on your local lan. POE NVR would be best way to go..

If you have loads of Non POE cameras you can still connect to a POE port of the NVR it won't power the camera but will still block to outside access and taking control of your camera..
Be Safe
RAMCREST644

Post by RAMCREST644 »

Darned, I forgot to say that all CAMs are 100Mbps as I know...

Here is what I wanted:
My-Home-Net.png
My-Home-Net.png (36.6 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Is that's good?

In the Router unit, I set many block ports just a few open ports for ASP use.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I don't understand why you would want to pay extra for a POE switch with gigabit tech. I mean a gigabit uplink with the fiber and share last 2 ports is 1 thing but in thought a normal POE Plus switch would be only thing in general.

Then next point and something to maybe think about. 4216e with 16 POE ports already why 5216 and POE switch that is 2 items why not just get the 4216 with 16 pOE ports and have a 2 in 1 the NVR with POE and no need for second switch?
Be Safe
RAMCREST644

Post by RAMCREST644 »

Well Well, I like mine way....
- NVR just one of Gigabit port (own POE switch in NVR will be all 100Mbps)
- I like my own router not NVR. (I do not trust)
- Separate gigabit POE switch use POE+ more power due I use near 300 feet away with CAT-6 cable.
- I can add cam later with another NVRs.
- I wanted stay Security Cam and NVR to be a group alone(RED) and separate the other devices(BLUE)
My-Home-Net2.png
My-Home-Net2.png (27.68 KiB) Viewed 1552 times