How to Run Amcrest Surveillance Pro as a normal user in Windows

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Surveillance Pro? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Kyeld

How to Run Amcrest Surveillance Pro as a normal user in Windows

Post by Kyeld »

For some reason Amcrest Surveillance Pro requires administrative privileges to run in Windows 10, I haven't tested it any other version of Windows. We have users that need to have access to our cameras, but cannot be given local admin privileges. What do I need to modify in order to allow them to run the application normally without having to provide admin credentials?

We would use the IE plug-in but the WebActiveX.exe is constantly crashing for some reason and the Chrome App doesn't even work. I get the "Your browser does not support this function!" error even though the web UI is being accessed through the Amcrest Web View Chrome app. :roll:

Any help would be appreciated.
jack7continued

Re: How to Run Amcrest Surveillance Pro as a normal user in Windows

Post by jack7continued »

You may just need to change the user permission to access the Amcrest Surveillance Pro folder.
For all Amcrest methods of accessing cameras, see
https://amcrest.com/forum/technical-dis ... 11971.html
lakerssuperman

Post by lakerssuperman »

I have Surveillance Pro running on Windows 10 and it works fine if I run it under my admin account. However, when I go to access the software from a non admin account it prompts me to enter admin credentials. I need to be able to deploy the software for a regular user without admin rights. Changing file permissions didn't fix the issue. Anyone have any other workarounds? Any help is appreciated.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

You could set up ASP on one PC for many users with no concurrent logins, or install ASP on each user PC and set it up for each user.
In Amcrest Surveillace Pro 2.0, you need to add a Role and save. Then add a user and specify that Role for the user. Role would be Admin, Role1, etc.
In ASP 2.0, you will find the user manual link at the top of ASP screen.
ASP 2.0 download link is at https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-surve ... 13561.html
Mindescape

Post by Mindescape »

Hi, I wanted to go back to this question.
I have a shared control PC from where the ASP is running. I have a problem where users install crap I don't want. I want them to log in as a normal user without admin privileges. How can I run ASP (as it asks me to supply admin password for UAC).
Thanks for the help guys!
ahoadley

Post by ahoadley »

I'm running into this same issue and have not figured out a way around it. The 'Run as Administrator' box is not checked in the Compatibility tab of properties. I've changed permissions to 'Full Permissions' for everyone from the top folder down and UAC still pops up it's 'I need an admin password' box. Has anyone understood what is actually tripping the admin flag? Giving the user admin rights is out of the question. Thank you for the help.
jack7continued

Post by jack7continued »

Current ASP with multiple user IDs and restricted permissions works OK for me on Windows 10 with no UAC message.  I don't know why but probably some combination of privacy/security settings.  A Windows server may be different.
Perhaps go to Windows settings /Privacy/File system, and turn on Allow apps...
BikerCorny

Post by BikerCorny »

This issue is just plain unacceptable. We are currently starting to invest heavily in security equipment with the intention of relying on Surveillance Pro to manage our entire security system. Unfortunately, it defeats the whole purpose if only individuals with administrator privileges can operate the system.
We have attempted a multitude of options however none were successful.

1.Even if WebActiveX wasn’t constantly crashing Surveillance Pro, IE is essentially a defunct program and many sites don’t support it and actually suggest not using the IE browser.

2.Changing user permissions for the Amcrest Surveillance Pro folder didn't fix the issue.

3.No matter how many PCs are running Surveillance Pro or how many users are on a single PC attempting to run Surveillance Pro still results in the request to run as admin.

4.And though it does NOT appear to be the windows UAC that is requesting the user to log on as administrator, I have attempted multiple methods for silencing the Windows 10 UAC anyway without any success.

Since this has apparently been an issue since at least June 2019, I’m surprised that Amcrest hasn’t stepped up to the plate with a solution yet.
I need to eventually discover an answer. If and when I do, I will post it here. However, if your reading this sometime in 2025 or latter you can pretty much assume I’m not going to find the answer.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

BikerCorny wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:11 am ...
1.Even if WebActiveX wasn’t constantly crashing Surveillance Pro, IE is essentially a defunct program and many sites don’t support it and actually suggest not using the IE browser.
Since you don't want to use IE, you could try this and see how well it works.
The Microsoft replacement for IE in Windows 10,11 is Microsoft Edge using Internet Explorer mode. 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 2dbac6f0de

Or maybe use another VMS like Blue Iris on a PC.
AJB

Post by AJB »

If anyone is still looking for a a solution to this issue. I created one.

1. I gave the user full access to the Amcrest folder - Actually no required
2. Then created a batch file with the following command in it:

cmd /c "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && START "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Amcrest Surveillance Pro\Amcrest Surveillance Pro\Amcrest Surveillance Pro.exe"