Choppy video playback in ASP on new PC

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Surveillance Pro? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
Pogo

Re: Choppy video playback in ASP on new PC

Post by Pogo »

Points well taken and apologies for not being more clear in what is admittedly a rather 'shoot from the hip' response to your original post..., which asked if there were any settings in ASP that could possibly be changed to address the issue.

My point was to perhaps look at the Radeon settings instead..., dumbing them down to the NVR. And the "type" of data is indeed what I was referring to relative to how effectively it is being processed by your new system using ASP -- or isn't, obviously.

My money is still on the Radeon unless there is an underlying resource issue with the new machine yet to be identified which SmartPSS is simply more capable of navigating around. (I would personally stick with SmartPSS anyway myself.)

Also, just uninstalling and replacing the newer issue of ASP with the earlier issue of ASP (and vice-versa) isn't necessarily removing the active registry component(s) that may be somehow involved with the performance problem.

Anyway, good luck with it.
swbrains

Post by swbrains »

Thanks -- Do you know which registry entries or app folders on the hard drive I would look for if I wanted to try to remove everything associated with an old installation... to start again with a "clean" installation (i.e. no remnants)?
swbrains

Post by swbrains »

OMG! I finally figured this out! So, even SmartPSS wasn't running as smoothly as my two laptops, but it was better than ASP for some reason, which was really laggy. But I still wanted to figure out why a Ryzen 7 with Radeon graphics couldn't outperform a laptop with a slower CPU, less RAM, and a much lower-performance GPU was running ASP perfectly smoothly.

So, I first uninstalled both ASP and SmartPSS. I then searched the registry and deleted every key that had "amcrest" or "smart professional surveillance" in it. I then uninstalled my video card from Device Manager and reinstalled the latest AMD Radeon drivers (auto-detected by the Radeon installation software), then rebooted and started fresh. After reinstalling SmartPSS, it still had the same small amount of lag it had before I did all of the above. it wasn't terrible, and it was an improvement over ASP, but it still wasn't as good as my cheaper laptop, which just bugged me.

I went through every setting in SmartPSS and compared it to the ones in my laptop ASP installation. Identical. So then I started looking for things I could change in the settings, and found a selector for video decoding. It was set to the "auto" setting. Just for kicks I changed it to "software", restarted the app, but it didn't change. I then set it to "hardware" and restarted the app, and... Viola! The video now looks as smooth as the laptop. I did notice about every 8-10 seconds it does stall for a half-second, but the remaining time it is perfectly smooth video!

So, it seems you were indeed correct about the issue being related to the video encoding/decoding on this particular installation, except the difference was actually in the software settings themselves. I was so busy trying to keep everything configured the same on both machines that I failed to try something different. Anyway, it's now much, much smoother thanks to the hardware decoding setting. :)
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Cool. Congratulations.

You may still want to explore the graphics settings on the machine to see if additional improvement can be had. You could start be temporarily just disabling the display adapter in Device Manager for turds and grins to see if the remain stutter disappears. If it does, you have another avenue of exploration with the graphics card options for possibly some additional encoding/decoding flexibility there.

Good job.
swbrains

Post by swbrains »

I will! I did run the AMD Adrenaline software and tweaked all the settings to "performance" bias, but didn't see any change. But I will try your suggestion about disabling the display adapter or removing the driver and letting it default to the basic MS driver and see if either case helps with the last bit of stutter.
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

I have different Amcrest cameras like 960p, 1080p, 4mp, 4k etc. and on the latest ASP I see choppy videos for all cameras whether they are on ethernet or wifi. The older version was fine. Viewing the videos on a browser like Chrome is fine. But I want to use ASP so that I can access the cameras when I am outside network. I want to go back to the old version. But I cant get the old version. Video download in ASP is also terribly slow. Whereas in Chrome it is fine.