ASP - Unable to add cameras

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Surveillance Pro? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
redbeard

ASP - Unable to add cameras

Post by redbeard »

Can third party cameras be used with ASP software? I have a Windows 7 desktop PC that I am wanting to use to act as my NVR. I have a couple of existing cameras that I can get to manually through their IP address in a web browser just fine. One is a Geovison and the other is a Hikvision. They do not show up in the IP config tool. I did change the tool to just look at IPs in the range that my router hands out. Just prior to doing anything, it did update the firmware on my router to make sure it was up to date. I tried to manually add the cameras and still no joy. In ASP, the PC NVR shows to be online and I set it's IP address to static so it does not change. Any help would be appreciated. If I can get the software up and working with these cameras, I would likely add some Amcrest cameras with better resolution and viewing angles. I had considered Reolink as well but saw some poor reviews and they don't work with anything other than their own brand.

Thank you in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: ASP - Unable to add cameras

Post by Revo2Maxx »

First Hello and Welcome to the Forum...

About ASP working with Other Cameras I would guess that it could maybe work with other ONVIF cameras but I am not sure. Second, What kind of CPU is this Win7 Box running? ASP while viewing cameras I can on a older PC that I do have WIn10 Home on with 8gb of Ram it Maxes out the CPU with 3 cameras running on PC-NVR and trying to do a Playback or even extended Live View. PC-Nvr when setup is running in the Background it don't need to have ASP running to record if you have it setup...

Out of the 8gb ram it does range between 3 and 4gb so that isn't an issue. Even with a 2018 CPU and 32gb ram... PC-NVR for what ever reason can't get to load but even that machine with 4 cameras live view uses a good 40 to 50% CPU and 7 to 8gb ram
Be Safe.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

It is an older Dell 3510.....I am unsure on the RAM. It should still see the cameras or allow me to add them manually I would think. I mainly just wanted to try out the software first before purchasing anything.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I am not 100A% sure that anything other then Amcrest Products can be used in the ASP. I just tried to install my DVR that comes up i my other DVR's list as being ONVIF and shows the Port ID and such... When I Click add in ASP I can put in all the info then Click add. It will try and connect and then say Failed that it timed out...

So I would say that your best bet is to get some Amcrest cameras and then you can test our ASP with them. Maybe start out with a 841, 941 or 1051. They are great indoor PT(z) cameras. However as with most Ip cameras you will be able to do some of the setup in ASP but WebUI is where I do most of my Camera setup... So I don't use ASP much... Trying to use ASP for being a NVR isn't a good idea in my mind... Cost of leaving a Computer running 24/7, Then the Tax of the software on the CPU, Unless a Super computer would need to be setup for running ASP only or maybe mild web surfing but Large Multi tasking with ASP, NVR running in background going to leave some not so happy results...

Cost of a NVR and the cost to run one all year 24/7 for the year I would bet could pay for its self twice fold in the 1 year.
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 pm ...What kind of CPU is this Win7 Box running? ASP while viewing cameras I can on a older PC that I do have WIn10 Home on with 8gb of Ram it Maxes out the CPU with 3 cameras running on PC-NVR and trying to do a Playback or even extended Live View. PC-Nvr when setup is running in the Background it don't need to have ASP running to record if you have it setup...
Out of the 8gb ram it does range between 3 and 4gb so that isn't an issue. Even with a 2018 CPU and 32gb ram... PC-NVR for what ever reason can't get to load but even that machine with 4 cameras live view uses a good 40 to 50% CPU and 7 to 8gb ram
Above quote from Revo2Maxx post_id=27138

jack7 Test:
I turned on PC-NVR recording 24/7 with two cameras, 2M and 4M, both with 30fps, 4096 bit rate and substream on. PC is 2012 P7-1235 with AMD A8-5500. Here are task manager stats with only PC-NVR on and recording the two cameras:
Total cpu - 3%
task mgr cpu - 1.9%
challenge task cpu - .8% (challenge is the active task that PC-NVR uses to record cameras.)

It appears quite a few cameras could be recorded simultaneously. Obviously if ASP is loaded viewing, replaying, and decoding camera streams, total cpu % would go up while that was going on.

@redbeard
Some Non-Amcrest cameras may work ASP. Dahua cameras should. I have not seen any mention of ONVIF used with ASP.
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... llance-Pro

Another PC option is Blue Iris which may support your cameras.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Wow that is Great Stats... I would love to see a Screen shot of them... I have a different computer that I went and turned on for the first time in a while. For some reason right now one of my cameras is not working on it... But I did a Test on this computer.. IT is a AMD-FX4300 and is said to be right on Par with your A8-5500... Doing a Test and looking at Task Manager under Performance Mine isn't getting anywhere near that... Don't mind HDD and all other things missing I turned off everything that it was running because I thought 6 hdd and things might be more then what was running on yours so only 1 HDD running and only loaded ASP, PC-NVR and Chrome and with only 2 Cameras I am running 30% cpu.... Not sure where you are getting your data but you can see my Snap shot here...
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (7).png (360.93 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So did some more testing and thought ok lets do 6 cameras on my normal daily use PC... It is Nothing special... Intel 3920 running at 2.9mhz, 32gb of ram and a 2gb GPU... This time it was even working little lol...

So for some reason when i first loaded the cameras they all cam in Went to look at Performance next thing I know down to 4 cameras lol the 2 CVI went offline So I was ok.. Doing about 64% cPU lets just say for giggles that someone wanted to use the only computer they had as a ASP PC-NVR... I can tell you that had I had PC-NVR my computer would have crashed with the 4 cameras... However I loaded youtube and started a Music Video. It is some of Avicii dance music. May he Rest in Peace.. Anyway I bring up ASP and now not only the CVI cameras went offline, CPU hitting 100% to 80% and now only running the 3 841's... Memory is doing well at only 4.5gb out of the 32... However CPU is not happy and for some reason the 751 didn't stay loaded either lol....

First Picture is with the 4 IP cameras working after for what ever reason the CVI went offline I tired to wait for them to come back online but they never did... I can load them in the Big Window but they don't want to go in the small one lol... OH well. 4Cameras and Task Manager

Second one is after the system no longer wanted to display my 751 after I loaded youtube playing a music Video

This picture is just same as the one before however went from being there unknown to now being offline lol...

The last picture if it will let me load. This is just showing that while PC-NVR is online and Green when I try to load it nothing comes up. Also shows this is WITH OUT IT running and if it was to record yeah don't think this computer would be able to do it...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So all I can say is WOW wonder how much RAM and what CPU is in my 16ch DVR that is really 18 with the 2 IP adds.... However only thing it is doing is what it was designed for recording and storing footage.... Funny thing is I can run it on my computer as well in their software but there is no NVR however you can record what you see... But isn't Amcrest and isn't in question. But also when running taxes the CPU really well.... Also the Feeds are only loaded in D1 format that is under 640x480 I just don't remember what the format is I think it is like 320ish lol... Don't use it only use the DVR's and the Phone apps...

By the way I am not telling anyone that they can't use a Computer to run ASP and PC-NVR... I am just trying to Inform people that it can Tax your computer and it would be best to have one just for ASP don't try and run other software .... A DVR or NVR is designed for Keeping you and the things you love safe...

Also to tell you the Truth The cost for a Amcrest NVR isn't to crazy.... In some cases under 100 only need to provide a HDD... Sure there are more costly ones that come with Cameras anD HDD. But yeah...
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

Revo2Maxx,
Here's a PC task manager snapshot that supports my earlier post. PC-NVR is recording mainstream constantly for the two cams. I can replay them when ASP is loaded. There are some more task manager pages with a few miscellaneous Microsoft processes using CPU. These stats are approximate and vary a little over time.
I forgot to mention that I use ASP 2 Beta (code name SmartPSS 2.02) which uses PC_NVR 3.0. The announcement of ASP 2 Beta and it's forum thread were deleted recently by Amcrest. So you can no longer download it from Amcrest.
My earlier post:
https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-surve ... 4dd#p27151
task2P_20191120_102011SM.jpg
task2P_20191120_102011SM.jpg (146.78 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That Says nothing about ASP running or PC-NVR as you said you were running at such LOW value lol... That says there is nothing running on your computer how does that help... 31% ram?

Then you said you had PC-NVR that would have Disk % yours is 0 and Network 9% sorry not streaming 2 cameras and Encoding them....

That Proves nothing.... mine shows Real world NO BS USE your PICTURE Clearly SHOWS 1 App that is Task Manager...

Not sure what your trying to prove with that... ASP is an APP would be loaded there.... Also not even in your list as it is Amcrest it would be high up under A Sorry don't know what your trying to SHOW?????

Again I will say... I am not trying to BS anyone into thinking that a computer from 2012 or even 2018 is going to RUN ASP and PC-NVR without Taxing the COmputer.... I wouldn't want to say that it could be done let someone try and then be upset because it failed at the General task of Recording when someone came and took something from their drive way or Porch or even worse yet Did a Home Invasion. I never want to give someone the False sense of Security in any computer being able to do ANYTHING a DVR or NVR was designed to do... EVEN with BLUE IRIS I am not going to give people the ROSE COLORED BS that they will be happy and secure with such......

What do I have to gain? NOTHING.. I don't own any DVR or NVR store I don't sale them I don't work for anyone that does... I don't get paid for people buying anything..

Sorry that is just WOW I can't believe you try and PUSH that picture... PROVES nothing....
Be Safe.