Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Bsbal18

Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

Post by Bsbal18 »

Amcrest Video Doorbell, once i follow all the instructions and turn power back onto doorbell, the chime CONSTANTLY goes off. I hooked up the old push-button doorbell and it works fine. I have a 16v-30AC transformer, so power isnt an issue... but anytime i hook up the two doorbell wires, it starts chiming like i am just repeatildy holding the button down.

ANy ideas on this one?
amcrest168

Re: Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

Post by amcrest168 »

sounds like the chime kit is not properly wired with the doorbell chime. the old push button is wired in the open circuit position but the doorbell is wired in the closed circuit position to power the doorbell camera. the chime kit provides load resistance to the doorbell chime so it does not constantly chime. i would start with checking the chime kit on your doorbell chime.
Bsbal18

Post by Bsbal18 »

Chimekit is wired fine. It isnt that difficult. It was working fine for the first week, then all a sudden it just started going crazy with continuous chimes. I have had to remove the Amcrest Doorbell and put the old push button back on in order to have a working doorbell. I have emailed tech support in regards to the doorbell being busted because the RESET button did not do anything after holding it down for a long time.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

a non-working reset button could be an indication you're doorbell is bricked. are you using any other app besides the smart home app? you will need to request a rma to obtain a replacement doorbell if the reset button is not functioning.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Bsbal18 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm Chimekit is wired fine. It isnt that difficult. It was working fine for the first week, then all a sudden it just started going crazy with continuous chimes. I have had to remove the Amcrest Doorbell and put the old push button back on in order to have a working doorbell. I have emailed tech support in regards to the doorbell being busted because the RESET button did not do anything after holding it down for a long time.
I just installed an AD110 today and have the same exact problem, only mine lasted about 10 minutes and the push button never worked with the door chime. I have disconnected the chime from the circuit for now and wired the video doorbell directly to the transformer. I don't believe I have any wiring issues with my Chime Kit. See photo.

amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

@KarlHungus53, i think your electronic chime requires a reset. have you perform a reset on your hampton chime? to reset, hold the sync/reset button down for 10 seconds... the unit will beep to confirm recognition of a reset.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

I assumed that button was just for syncing a wireless button. I can give it a try tomorrow.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Nope, that didn't work. I put a voltage meter at the door chime and was getting around 9 volts, but the full 16 at the transformer.

I unconnected the door chime and wired the video doorbell back to the transformer and now it is stuck in a constant rebooting loop. I hear "Successfully Connected to Network" every 2 minutes. There is something wrong with this thing obviously.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

wow you have a huge voltage drop from the transformer to the doorbell. :o i think should also look into your wiring and i think you need a new transformer. measuring 16v at the transformer is a concern because even with 1 voltage drop at the doorbell, you won't have enough power the doorbell camera. how far is the doorbell from the transformer that would result in a 7 volt drop?
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

I had a typo, I was getting 18 volts at the transformer. The transformer is about equidistant from the chime and doorbell with approx. 10-15 ft. of wire going from the transformer to each one.

I did some more testing. With just the video doorbell wired to the transformer, I was getting 18v at the transformer and 18v at the video doorbell.

As I said before, with the chime wired into the system, I was getting 18v at the transformer, 8-9v at the chime and about 12v at the video doorbell.

Seeing as it appears the whole unit is shot and stuck in a reboot loop, I unconnected the Chime Kit and powered everything back up and got the same 8-9v at the Chime and 12v at the Video Doorbell. I am still working on the assumption that the Chime Kit is kaput because it is making no difference. Everything appeared to be working fine on my initial installation for about 15 minutes. I think the Chime Kit gave out and all of the testing and undervoltage finally killed the video doorbell unit. Waiting for a Sr. Technician from Houston to call me back. I am planning on them issuing and RMA.