Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
mjzapjr

Re: Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

Post by mjzapjr »

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get my 30VA transformer in yesterday. It fixed the drop out after multiple presses but I still get no chime at all. I am starting to question how my doorbell buttons are wired. We have a front and rear door button.

When I use a diode, it works - full chime but it gets HOT. It also seems to be polarity sensitive - one way works and the other way it chimes constantly.

I'd hate to replace the doorbell because it's only a couple months old but if that is the only solution, it is what it is.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Just making sure you are using the CHIME BOX that camera with the Doorbell camera?

And Yes I seen it in the Pictures I just want to make sure it is still being used for the setup your last post was about?
Be Safe.
mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

Not sure if this is directed KarlHungus or myself. The picture was theirs but I have the same wiring and hardware EXCEPT I have a second bell switch at the back door. My last comment about no ring on my internal chime still stands.

I have been working on other projects (like getting all the other cameras wired and setup on BI) Today I plan on figuring out how they actually wired the bell buttons and make sure nothing hanky is going to rule out wiring once and for all.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I took it in the last post before that you were talking about the Polarity of the Diode.. Oddly there should be no issue what way one would go in seeing it is a AC system.. However I guess if you have it inline only 1 wire then I guess that could be.

About a bad doorbell I am not sure it is. I mean if you take the doorbell camera out of mount and take 1 wire off the camera and touch the other wire and your doorbell works then I am not sure it is a Doorbell issue...

So I have wrote this in places and I don't know where or if others have read...

But 30va 16vac transformer might not be enough.. First of all in day time everyone has different ability to make the camera work. People say they have used a 10 va and while I am not sure how that could be unless that transformer is Extreme hot and a press of the button or 2 would take out the camera but anyway... I have found that in some cases not all but I have ran into a few cases where I have helped my friend work with the doorbell and camera things work without doorbell camera in place but once that is in place they can get the Chime to work once... Then one of them I was able to use my 100va transformer because the system worked both 16vac or 24vac and using the 100va transformer worked his system.. Looking at this doorbell system he had it said needed 30va but it didn't say if that was 16 or 24 because it is really different So my guess was that must be for 24vac (1.25amps) and if one used 16vac 30 that I have said is 1.875amps then you would think it would be working without issue.. However the issue is that the Transformer can give that current however because of Voltage drop and current flow the camera is drawing it can't do it.. So in the end on this system we installed a 16vac 45va and that was enough to make it work Geez I would hope so at 2.8amps lol...

Voltage drop, Wire size and transformer size in this all matters.. That along with Required Transformer for your doorbell...

So in a since I am thinking if there was a KIT that was sold by a Big box lets say this kit had the door bell, button and 16vac 30va transformer as a all in 1 kit I don't think that is going to work for the doorbell camera.. Same could be for a Kit that comes with a 20va transformer. If the Min Requirements are 30va for the Doorbell camera it might be that the system is going to need I would say 45va as a Min but safe to say a 60va would be best... I am going to have to break down and see what the Real Current draw of this camera is for Day and Night.. I don't run in Night time IR on most nights but last night I wanted to see something and turned off my Light on the porch and mine went into B/W without issue.. Oddly the cars coming down the hill didn't trigger the system to go color so they might have been because they were constant flow and not stopped or might be because of Foggy night... Very bright light on the Pole 60ft away looked ugly but didn't make any issues with IR and B/W mode going on and off.
Be Safe.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

The new firmware allows you set how long the door chime has to ring. Select your Chime time and then how many seconds. I set mine to 3 seconds and it now plays the entire DING DONG sound. This appears to have resolved the issue. Now, if they can fix that annoying firmware version notice now. That's ridiculous that made it through QA.
TomSmith

Post by TomSmith »

The doorbell that I have was ringing constantly when I followed the instructions also. I have a Honeywell digital chime.
The way I got it to stop was to connect the camera directly across the transformer source, not through the doorbell.
(Power for the camera and the doorbell are in parrallel rather than in series.)
The Amcrest chime still connects across the doorbell switch contacts.
The resultant behavior is that when motion is sensed, the Amcrest chime sounds, when the doorbell is pressed, the Amcrest chime (ding dong) and my familiar Honeywell (dingdong, dingdong... dingdong, dingdong) both sound.
This also seems to help with the voltage drop through incurred when run through the doorbell.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@TomSmith Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Anyway you can put this on paper on what you did as maybe some people won't be able to follow how you made your doorbell work while your Camera is wired straight to the Transformer this way if they have the same issue they might be able to follow what you did and try to see if that makes it work for them..

Sadly I had some thought that even with the Transformer that is said would work with the camera and doorbell at a Min might still be to little if the Doorbell system was causing a Huge Voltage Drop. I tried to relay this info to people but some don't understand and might work better by Pictures...
Be Safe.
mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

Update here.

I was finally able to get some time and work on the doorbell. I had a suspicion that they may have been wired incorrectly so I found a diagram with the correct wiring for this setup. When I checked to see if they were correct or not, I couldn't tell for sure so I pulled them all out and metered/toned my lines to make sure I knew what went where. I had 3 pairs - 1 pair transformer, 1 pair front door and 1 pair back door. I double checked how they should be wired. Sure enough, the wiring was not correct. Once rewired, everything worked fine without the resistor.

Then I noticed the new firmware today (rarely if ever do I use the app) The chime duration possibly could have helped me with the bad wiring but that's water under the bridge now. I am looking forward to see if the Nightvision toggle works since my camera faces a street light and constantly flips between day and night mode all night long.

Anyway, here is a line diagram of the wiring for a two button (front/back) setup.
2 button wiring.jpg
2 button wiring.jpg (516.42 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly the issue with the Night vision being able to to turned off once the camera resets like a reboot or what ever the night vision goes back to being on so have to remember to turn it back off that is a PITA but good to see the off option better then not having one at all...

Thanks for the wiring update incase it can help others Strange wiring but if it works that is what matters...
Be Safe.
mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

Keep in mind, this diagram is only if you want two separate button zones like I have. This allows for two distinct chimes so I know which button is pushed. If you just cover one of the buttons in the diagram it'll make more sense and you can see how the circuit is completed.