Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
KarlHungus53

Re: Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Why would "No Chime" be the only option that works at all, if that is the case? I assume No Chime wouldn't have any effect on current when the button is pressed.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Will the Amcrest AD110 work with a wireless door chime? I could try disconnecting the chime and just put batteries in the chime and connect the AD110 to it wirelessly.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

i don't think the ad110 can communicate with your existing doorbell through wireless. you will still need a transmitter to trigger a wireless chime. i think you're best bet is to consider a mechanical door chime.

or an ohmkat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDOJ-5JTni8
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

Page 7 of the AD110 User Manual sure makes it sound like the unit works with Wireless Chimes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JmduLO ... UHB7M/view

mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

KarlHungus53 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 pm
Bsbal18 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm Chimekit is wired fine. It isnt that difficult. It was working fine for the first week, then all a sudden it just started going crazy with continuous chimes. I have had to remove the Amcrest Doorbell and put the old push button back on in order to have a working doorbell. I have emailed tech support in regards to the doorbell being busted because the RESET button did not do anything after holding it down for a long time.
I just installed an AD110 today and have the same exact problem, only mine lasted about 10 minutes and the push button never worked with the door chime. I have disconnected the chime from the circuit for now and wired the video doorbell directly to the transformer. I don't believe I have any wiring issues with my Chime Kit. See photo.

Same doorbell here or at least the guts (looks like they are just rebranded) Any luck getting the chime to work?

My transformer is 16VAC 10VA, the camera powers up, it's configured and sends alerts. Great! Now I need a doorbell though.

Direct wiring (no diode) doesn't ring chime with any setting selected (digital, mechanical or none) With the diode in, it works, kinda. The chime is cut short due to the momentary relay in the doorbell camera being so short AND during testing, several presses makes the camera reboot and then I have to wait a couple minutes for it to reconnect to test further.

I did notice for my case, if the diode is installed backwards, the chime continuously goes off. I will say that this diode was from the original doorbell before I replaced it and it just worked with the new chime unit so I didn't bother to replace it.

Outside of this, I am at a loss. Couple with the registration server being down the last couple of days, I am losing confidence in the product and am seriously considering sending it back for a refund.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Your camera will reboot and I am going to guess will go off line all together at night when IR kicks in because your Using a 10va Transformer and the Minimum is said to be a 30va...

Here is what people don't understand... Why does it work on 10va if it should only work with Min 30va? In Short because when the Power of 16vac is going to the Camera to start with it is Charging 2 large Supper Capacitors. Then what happens as you seen when you press the bell in a since it should make your Doorbell work because it cuts power for a short time and sends this power to your Doorbell when you release the button the power goes back and charges up the CAPS... However as soon as you Press the Button a few times it will take some time to recover and start charging the caps.. I am going to Guess they might have a Inrush current circuit on the system as well and this will take some time for that charge of the Caps to start again... So a few to many pressing the button the Caps discharge enough that the Camera reboots because it has lost power...

So same thing at night your Camera will shut off when the IR turns on because there just isn't enough power stored in the CAPS to power camera, WIFI, IR, Audio board, and all the other nice little wonderful things they have smashed inside that small package...
Be Safe.
mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

They should really make that part of the manual. The wording definitely doesn't specify it HAS to be 30Va, just that it would be sufficient.

So that will solve the problem of repeated presses and the camera shutting off. Would this also solve the issue of the chime not ringing with no diode like the product documentation claims?
The device is designed to operate with existing doorbell wiring, transformers, and chime. If the
installation area does not have existing doorbell wiring or suitable voltage, please consult an
electrician to replace or install proper doorbell wiring.
• The device requires 16~24V AC to function. A transformer with 16~30V AC will be suitable to
power the device.
This should really read that most existing doorbell transformers WILL NOT have the required power as most are only 10Va and should be replaced with a 30Va transformer.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and yes I agree there should be some added text to the manual... I even said maybe added in as a leaflet where it states just as you said...

Another factor and sadly isn't said and not sure it will be added and that is most Doorbell wiring isn't good enough either... So that isn't in all cases but I can tell you that I have worked on a few homes with the Doorbell network as something Very large... One that I had to make a Road Map so I could understand it.. While this isn't for all homes but I have seen some that have Cat3 in the walls from Chime to Supply to switch and sadly this is not going to cut it and should really never been used to start with... I have seen some with Cat5, some with 22ga wires and again Cat5 or 22ga isn't good enough now Cat5 using 4 of the wires for each side of the switch is fine but to be Fair 18ga wire should be used for a normal home.. However if your doors are on the other side from your Garage and that is where the power for the doorbell is starting with the bell in the kitchen off the Garage but your door is on the other side of the house 60 to 100ft away even 18ga wire might be under sized... People have to understand there is this thing called Power Drop over distance... So your power supply might be 16vac when you plug it in to mains but by the time it gets to your doorbell and then to your doorbell switch aka now your Amcrest Camera this might be only 13.8v and isn't going to cut it.. So that is why for some of my friends with the larger homes I tell them use only the 24vac transformer and no less then 60va when normal sized home could get away with the 45va that is min... That still will not give them 100% power at the camera but will be within Specs for voltage.. Also tell them if the wire is under sized they should upgrade it and most times then not they do... Just helped a Friend install one on his cabin the don't have a Doorbell so he bought the camera Ad110, 16vac 30va transformer and 18ga wire... He uses it as a Stand alone don't even need the bell as no one there but him and it will ring his phone if someone pressed button..

To be fair I think one thing that should have been setup rather then the Camera Ringing a Door Chime the person can hear when they push the button I think that should be a Message that says Please wait while I connect you with someone... The whole sound outside I just don't understand lol
Be Safe.
mjzapjr

Post by mjzapjr »

By trade, I work in professional audio visual. We are always mindful of voltage drop especially when it comes to cameras and speakers. Wiring and distance look good here and metered out just fine so that shouldn't be an issue here.

Just went and picked up a 30VA transformer and if I have time I will install later this evening and report back.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

mjzapjr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm
KarlHungus53 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 pm
Bsbal18 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm Chimekit is wired fine. It isnt that difficult. It was working fine for the first week, then all a sudden it just started going crazy with continuous chimes. I have had to remove the Amcrest Doorbell and put the old push button back on in order to have a working doorbell. I have emailed tech support in regards to the doorbell being busted because the RESET button did not do anything after holding it down for a long time.
I just installed an AD110 today and have the same exact problem, only mine lasted about 10 minutes and the push button never worked with the door chime. I have disconnected the chime from the circuit for now and wired the video doorbell directly to the transformer. I don't believe I have any wiring issues with my Chime Kit. See photo.

Same doorbell here or at least the guts (looks like they are just rebranded) Any luck getting the chime to work?

My transformer is 16VAC 10VA, the camera powers up, it's configured and sends alerts. Great! Now I need a doorbell though.

Direct wiring (no diode) doesn't ring chime with any setting selected (digital, mechanical or none) With the diode in, it works, kinda. The chime is cut short due to the momentary relay in the doorbell camera being so short AND during testing, several presses makes the camera reboot and then I have to wait a couple minutes for it to reconnect to test further.

I did notice for my case, if the diode is installed backwards, the chime continuously goes off. I will say that this diode was from the original doorbell before I replaced it and it just worked with the new chime unit so I didn't bother to replace it.

Outside of this, I am at a loss. Couple with the registration server being down the last couple of days, I am losing confidence in the product and am seriously considering sending it back for a refund.
I would say you have too small of a transformer. I have a 30vA transformer, but still have issues. I received a replacement unit and kind of got it to work. The chime works, but only sounds for about 1 second. Using the standard "ding-dong" sound, it plays the "ding" and then shuts off. I had to set the App to "No Chime" to get it to do that. Setting it to Mechanical or Digital caused no sound at all. Amcrest says this exact chime is on their approved list, but I haven't been able to get it to work properly. I also tried inserting the diode, but that made no difference.

I also have good voltage, reading 18v across the entire circuit, using 18ga wire. I think my only other option is to replace my electronic chime with a mechanical one.