Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Video Doorbell CONSTANTLY chiming

Post by Revo2Maxx »

If your getting 9v off a 16vac transformer then there might be something wrong with the Transformer wiring to the units...

Since it sounds like you have a meter, make sure your meter is set to test AC voltage and take the camera off and the doorbell and test the wiring that goes to the doorbell, what is the voltage without anything connected to it. However a Power supply could show true voltage until a load is put on it..

It could be that the Power Supply don't have enough VA AKA Watts aka Amps to run the Bell and the camera. However the odd thing is that once it is connected and turns on and says so the Caps should be Charged enough that the camera could stay working for over 40 seconds without power.. So some how the Power is being removed from the camera and again brings me back to the idea that the Wiring could be at fault or transformer isn't big enough. Has enough power to charge the caps and connect but by that time power is lost caps discharge and camera cycles again... Did you connect the Chime box when you connect the camera by its self?

By the Way to anyone Reading this.. I would if you have the ability to buy a Class 2 24vac or 16vac Power supply While that Chime box from Amcrest is designed to keep the Doorbell camera safe.. The transformers are RAW Dirty Power. Class 2 has circuits in them to protect from Overload and shorting...

So people understand my statements. When a Doorbell is connected to the Bell system in the house it is at a stand by state.. It isn't until you press the button at the front of the house or back of the house that the Power flows to the Bell system This is a VERY SHORT TIME... However when you put something in line that now makes that Transformer live and loaded at all times the system now has a load on the Transformer. Alot of time people don't even use the right Bell wire and the system is running a load over the wires constant now...

I have provided a Image for an idea.. This shows front and back switches installed however you can see in this there is no direct power until one of the buttons is pushed...
DoorBell.jpg
DoorBell.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry I wrote this and was making image when you 2 posted...

It sounds like the 2 wires you are connecting is not the right ones...

As my Picture above a DoorBell switch is an open Circuit if you will When you push the switch it lets the current flow to the Doorbell... If you connect the 2 wires and the door chimes like it has the buttons pushed then there might be an issue with your Switch wires...
Be Safe.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

What does the Chime Kit actually do?

I understand how a traditional doorbell circuit works as you posted above. In a traditional system, the circuit is open and only completed when you press the button. Completing the circuit activates the solenoid in the chime hitting the bar for the "DING" and releasing it opens the circuit, deactivating the solenoid and hitting the other bar for the "DONG."

How does this circuit work now with the video doorbell? The circuit has to be closed at all times to power the video camera unit. How do you power the doorbell unit while not powering the chime? This goes back to my question about what the Chime Kit actually does.

I know I don't have any wiring issues and my transformer is the recommended 16v-30vA (also capable of 24v-30vA.) I had no issues with my old push button and the same chime.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am not 100% to be honest about the Chime Kit.. I am going to guess that it is an OVERLOAD protection Circuit and has no chime what so ever...

So I am not sure how the Camera works to be honest.. I can tell you that it is powered 100% of the time when connected with the wires that was installed for the normal bell switch... Then the Magic of the Button being Pushed I am going to guess that it causes the System to Do a Fast Short to the system and is why the camera as someone posted before has 2 large Super Caps in them and why the Camera can stay online for more then 30 seconds I think it was more like a Minute once power was removed.. .I infact even Pressed the button with power removed and still chimed my phone and recorded video before it went offline I was impressed... So with the Magic of their circuit on a Button Push I am guessing it Dead Shorts the system and gives that Pass through voltage that the DoorBell needs to chime...

Edit.. Once the Doorbell is Released I am going to guess that the CHIME KIT they have is kind of a Shock Absorption unit... For the Inrush current and power that can go though these Transformers..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

By the Way only thing I can think of off hand... The Wago 221 that came with the KIT is only a 1 way... SO if someone was to take both wires from the door bell switch and connect it it would be a pass through just in case someone thought it was 2 different ports it is only 1
Be Safe.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

This is why I want to know. I suspect I have a faulty chime kit, which in turn has damaged the actual video doorbell unit. The way this system works can't be known, or troubleshot, without knowing what the Chime Kit actually does.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly with all electronics that is built such as these Cameras it is hard to say...

I had an issue for a moment and I for the life of me can't remember the result or what the issue was to be honest I just remember that At first the wiring hole and connection at my Camera had a One off on off then off and didn't come back on... So i removed the camera form the front, brought it back into my home connected it to a Class 2 16vac Power Supply 2.5amps. Waited and it came online... Pulled new Bell Wire and connected it to my doorbell camera direct rather then having the Caps on the back set of wires to help keep the hole outside small rather then trying to cram my caps in the wall in the tight space back there and it has been powered since without fail...

What I would do to be fair for trouble shooting this.. If it was me.... I would take the camera down or to your Bell Transformer and connect the Chime box and Camera direct to the Transformer and see if it works at that location...
Be Safe.
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

the chime kit serves as a load resistor to the chime. unlike a push button that is wired in the open position, a smart doorbell is wired in the closed position so there is constant power to operate the doorbell camera. the chime kit provides load resistance between the doorbell camera and the chime so the chime does not go off in a closed circuit unless the doorbell camera sends a signal to the chime kit to allow more current flow to trigger the chime. digital chimes may still go off from false triggers in the circuit even with the chime kit installed hence many digital chimes have a reset function for stopping false triggers. the hampton bay HB-7612-02 has a reset function to stop false triggers. digital chimes are also susceptible to false triggers even with a regular push button doorbell in a hard wired setting. here's one comment from a hampton bay HB-7612-02 owner.
hampton_bay_HB-7612-02 .PNG
hampton_bay_HB-7612-02 .PNG (33.01 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

All I know is the unit I have does not work and needs to be replaced. I have placed 5 phone calls to Amcrest, each time being told I will receive a call back from a "Sr. Technician in Houston." I have yet to get that call. I also submitted a support email 36 hours ago with no response. This is ridiculous.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry for the Delay.. . Please note that there might be a Delay in Calls being returned when there is a Large Call Volume... Calls out are going to be in Order of the calls in... This is also going to be the case with Emails...

Amcrest wants to make sure that you get the help you need. While anyone can answer an email or Phone call but if there isn't some one that has the Answer that you need it might be the only person or people that does have this answer might have a Back Log of calls or emails...

I was told that the CHIME Box is 100% needed to be installed for the camera to Function. it was designed to Regulate Power.

While I don't know any numbers I just know that the doorbell was a good Sale and that they have a lot that have sold and sadly a Few that need to be returned. I am sure as soon as your able to get ahold of someone they will get you a RMA and you will have a new camera before long... Last year after waiting a week I was writing a I guess you forgot about me email when I got my call just before I was ready to press send lol... Spent an hour working on my issue. So if you have 1 or 2 Sr. Techs and say you have 100 calls in for them to solve they can only get to 8 each a day if they took an hour each however that isn't true either because they get Lunch and breaks and please note I am sure they are not just chilling at a Desk doing nothing... They are working as hard and fast as they can to try and get to everyone with support issues in a timely manner...
Be Safe.