Video Doorbell AD110 Losing connection at night

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Video Doorbell AD110 Losing connection at night

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I can tell you from some testing I just did with a 16.5vac 2.4amp power supply I can run 2 cameras and both of them in IR mode without issues... I did testing with both amp and volt meter and posted some videos on the matter...
Be Safe.
ElwoodBlues

Post by ElwoodBlues »

Ok, did a bit of testing finally. Wasn't able to do everything on the list,but did get some interesting data.

Test 1: Blue Iris RTSP enabled, AD110 Night Vision set to Auto
Measure AC current between AD110 and chime and found following:
AD110 continued to cycle as previously described. Reboot interval ranged from 60-82 seconds
Observed current draw matched that pattern.
Initial current when resetting / booting up is 0.16A - 0.17A.
Current when comms were restored was 0.24A - 0.26A.
Current when comms were lost and unit resets was 0.30A-0.31A

Test 2: Blue Iris RTSP enabled, AD110 Night Vision set to Off
Current measured was 0.21A - 0.23A.
Unit operates normally and does not reset.

Test 3: Blue Iris RTSP disabled, AD110 Night Vision set to Auto, Amcrest phone app running.
Observed similar reset pattern and current draw as Test 1.

Voltage at AD110 terminals is 17.27V.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I guess my Question is was this also connected at a Doorbell or just your camera? 17.27v should be ok however something that I don't understand is why is the Boot up current so low? 240 to 260ma is about what I was getting as well.

I guess it is time to contact Support and see about a RMA..

Sad thing is for the people like myself that don't need night IR for the doorbell camera that the system resets after a reboot back to Auto rather then the setting of off.. To be fair it is really odd that there are so many issues with these seeing they don't really take much current to run under any normal day night event for me anyway

Like in my Videos.. I had 2 connected and even connected a Digital doorbell had both in IR mode and rang the bell. You could see that the 7 seconds that it took for the bell to ring as I set it in the Camera to ring bell 7sec when the camera came back online it did have a good current draw to charge the Caps of about an extra 100ma..
You can see that Video here if you haven't looked at it and if you wish too.. I took 2 cameras doorbells one was on my house already, I removed it from the normal wiring to setup this Testing area.. Using a 16.5vac 2.4amp plug in power supply and Y off the power to add the second camera.. I did some testing with just 2 cameras to start with in another video.. Thought ok lets keep testing lol... So this video I listing here was 2 cameras, with Digital doorbell shows parasitic voltage at the doorbell while at rest of around 660mv and when the doorbell camera button is pushed you can see the voltage going to the doorbell is 19.2 or so until it is done playing the tune at which time the camera relay releases the power going to the doorbell and it returns to resting mv once the camera has changed the caps.. Other videos I did shows voltage at the camera this one at the doorbell but shows the current this is still both cameras connected with the chime and both chime boxes as well...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rP_bfCI0p8&t
Be Safe.
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

@ElwoodBlues Confirmed last night the API commands work and my doorbell for the first time ran overnight with IR on and no reboots. Check out pages 5 and 6 of my IR thread.

Manual mode with Lighting set to 95, if set to 100 I lose connectivity.
ctowers

Post by ctowers »

pcabral wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:31 am @ElwoodBlues Confirmed last night the API commands work and my doorbell for the first time ran overnight with IR on and no reboots. Check out pages 5 and 6 of my IR thread.

I bought this camera on Aug 10 because it appears to be the only doorbell camera that supports RTSP... I too ended up replacing my transformer to 16v 30va and that didn't fix it. I also observed the IR lights scanning/pulsing just before it would reboot/disconnect. This forced me to turn down the volume on the thing because it was literally echoing on my street all night.

@pcabral , I also confirmed that the API works! However, I found my most stable light setting to be 15, I tried 95 and then 50 and I still had issues. It still looks fine for what I need.

@ElwoodBlues I've deployed through Blue Iris too and I think you might be right regarding the cause and effect of recording at HD at night and/or streaming or both, likely provoking these disconnection errors. so frustrating.

To mitigate the likely problem of losing the workaround settings in the event of power outage or additional disconnects, I added an Action Set through the Watchdog tab under the BI camera properties.

Follow steps with caution, in my observation the API will spit out a 404 error if something is wrong with the URL but there’s still the potential of bricking with bad formed inputs, exercise caution.

1. Under the Cam Properties ‘Watchdog' Tab
2. Check 'Fire Alerts after:' box
3. select 'On signal restoration...'
4. Add ' Web Request or MQTT’
5. Ensure 'http://' is selected in the drop down, add ‘<CamIP>cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].Mode=Manual’ in the blank text field
6. Click Ok
7. Test it by manually triggering with the lightning bolt button
8. Navigate to http://<CamIP>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=Lighting to ensure the changes were successful.
Repeat steps to update to desired light setting that works for you in... in step 5, add:
‘<CamIP>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].MiddleLight[0].Light=15’ instead.
ctowers

Post by ctowers »

ctowers wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:31 pm
pcabral wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:31 am @ElwoodBlues Confirmed last night the API commands work and my doorbell for the first time ran overnight with IR on and no reboots. Check out pages 5 and 6 of my IR thread.

I bought this camera on Aug 10 because it appears to be the only doorbell camera that supports RTSP... I too ended up replacing my transformer to 16v 30va and that didn't fix it. I also observed the IR lights scanning/pulsing just before it would reboot/disconnect. This forced me to turn down the volume on the thing because it was literally echoing on my street all night.

@pcabral , I also confirmed that the API works! However, I found my most stable light setting to be 15, I tried 95 and then 50 and I still had issues. It still looks fine for what I need.

@ElwoodBlues I've deployed through Blue Iris too and I think you might be right regarding the cause and effect of recording at HD at night and/or streaming or both, likely provoking these disconnection errors. so frustrating.

To mitigate the likely problem of losing the workaround settings in the event of power outage or additional disconnects, I added an Action Set through the Watchdog tab under the BI camera properties.

Follow steps with caution, in my observation the API will spit out a 404 error if something is wrong with the URL but there’s still the potential of bricking with bad formed inputs, exercise caution.

1. Under the Cam Properties ‘Watchdog' Tab
2. Check 'Fire Alerts after:' box
3. select 'On signal restoration...'
4. Add ' Web Request or MQTT’
5. Ensure 'http://' is selected in the drop down, add ‘<CamIP>cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].Mode=Manual’ in the blank text field
6. Click Ok
7. Test it by manually triggering with the lightning bolt button
8. Navigate to http://<CamIP>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=Lighting to ensure the changes were successful.
Repeat steps to update to desired light setting that works for you in... in step 5, add:
‘<CamIP>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Lighting[0][0].MiddleLight[0].Light=15’ instead.
The saga continues... for testing purposes, I realized that I had a pre-Authenticated session going therefore upon future power loss, the watchdog trigger wouldn't work without pre-authentication. And my assumption was right when I flipped the breaker to simulate power loss, the trigger wouldn't work. To remedy this, I found a reverse proxy that removes the HTTPS digest from this specific camera running on docker. Alas, I do not recommend this for obvious security reasons. Hopefully there's a firmware fix for this later that we can deploy.
horus

Post by horus »

Sharing my story :: Had the same issue with the device often rebooting(?) and saying 'successfully connected to the network' . Changed the transformer to a 24V x 40VA. Still happening. Turned off Night Vision (IR) and the disconnects/reboots ended. Maybe it's a bug...
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@horus Hello and welcome to the Forum

Sadly your 24vac 40va is under the normal for the doorbell if we are to follow what is said to be normal.. That is 16vac 30va and that translates to 1.85amps and you having a 24vac 40va transformer that translates to 1.6666amps..

So here is something that I just found out on accident mind all that read this.. On my startup of a New doorbell It was under smart IR or smart something I don't remember now however now that I have updated the FW to the new FW and rebooted and even reset the camera a few times it is no longer at that setting it is under manual setting? So I am wondering if maybe horus if your camera was updated with the new FW and if it was was it ever Reset with the Reset button on the camera? If it wasn't it might be using old info for IR that makes it go up and down

Also unless your not going to use your doorbell with a chime in the house you will be ok with a 24vac power however if you are using a chime in the house your going to want to double check the specs for the chime because most of them are only 10vac or 16vac and a small hand full will work with 24vac... Please note that isn't the xx - xx range that will be on the doorbell manual or the unit it self should say what it wants.. If you have a doorbell that is 16vac 10va and even though the xx - xx maybe within the range of the supply you have or 1 or 2 volts over its max then it is over the max.. Also I have seen people that take a Voltage check before puttin on a load and then after the camera and doorbell (chime) is added it falls down to 18vac it will still cook the doorbell (chime) if it was meant to have a 16vac supply...
Be Safe.
tigars

Post by tigars »

Airey001 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 am So my wife got me one the Amcrest Video Doorbells (AD110) for my birthday in February. Installed and setup was easy. My BlueIris system found it and added it with ease. But that night I started to hear it every few minutes saying connected to network. this was pretty constant. I had to disconnect it so we could sleep. Then i started my research and then relaced the wire and the transformer with a 16v 30vac model. But still the disconnects. I opened a case with support only to be asked if i had the right transformer I verified this but then didn't hear back. Then one night i had my BlueIris server offline and noticed that the doorbell wasn't disconnecting. So i turned on the blue iris and bam with in a mintue there came the disconnects. Shut it off it was stable. So i emailed this to support. after another day not hearing back i started testing more and found that i could reproduce this with the Amcrest App. With blueiris on and at night if i viewed the camera via the amcrest app with it set to HD boom the disconnects started. So it seems at night the system has too much load for the HD viewing. I started to look and found people on Amazons reviews saying the same thing. Now its been about a week since the last time i heard from amcrest so i thought i would come here. Hoping for some help before i am forced to return it.
Hi Airey001,I have the same problem as you ... I performed the same test, initially I even used the Amcrest power supply for the doorbell (18w 500ma) Subsequently an 18w 3A, and now a 16v .. There seems to be a problem between the doorbell and blueiris only at night .. when blueiris is closed the problem does not occur anymore.
K46tank

Post by K46tank »

I am beginning to think that there is a bad batch of these doorbell cams out there. I just installed a 16v 40va transformer hoping that it would solve the rebooting at night issue since Revo had two AD110s working on one such transformer on his bench set up. I previously used a 24v 50va transformer but it didn't solve the issue and I was worried about burning up my mechanical chime or the chime kit as Revo had pointed out. So I went and got this 16v 40va transformer hoping it would be the answer but, unfortunately it is not.

The fact that there are so many people that have what appear too be defective units while at the same time many that seem to work normally even without switching out their existing doorbell transformers makes me think that a batch of them were produced with a faulty part or a bad trace or some other issue that is causing the reboots or overloads or whatever is happening when the IRs turn on. The fact that it is happening in the AD110 as well as the DB11 indicates to me that at is hardware related as opposed to each vendor's firmware.

Hopefully Amcrest and/or Dahua will finally step up and admit there is a problem and offer a solution besides "There is a new firmware that will solve it but we don't know when or if it will be released."