Video Doorbell AD110 Losing connection at night

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Video Doorbell AD110 Losing connection at night

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah it is hard to say... Sadly it sounds like it might be RMA time. However if you get the new one and it has same issue it is odd that 3 16vac 30va transformer would be bad so says camera bad... I am not sure how that could be there is just to much in the camera that should make it stable. Crazy part is that it works when IR isn't being used... I guess it could be a Manufacturing flaw... maybe an issues with a Short in the IR circuit or maybe the Cap for that circuit is bad so it never gets the power it needs... I mean if it was something that was working over time and shut off. Then I might think it was heat related but strange...

Yeah I went and looked at my Friends nest and its power requirement was 10va so yeah no wonder his 20va transformer was working it so well... Anyway if I was closer I would offer the use of one of my 100va 24vac Transformer that is over 4amps and was the first Transformer I was using to power mine lol...It was what I loaned my friend to use while he waited for his because our big box store didn't have one large enough for it to work...
Be Safe.
TechFrog467

Post by TechFrog467 »

I have the same exact problem. It works perfectly during the day. Cycles constantly at night.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Cycle between Day and night or you mean it cycles on and off? @TechFrog467 Welcome to the Fourm...

If it is cycle the Night on and off that means there is just to much light getting to the camera at night. For that you can do 1 of 2 things. Lower the light in are door area to keep the B/W and IR mode or add more light to keep the camera in Color mode... Sadly I have mine facing the sky and all the lights in the area keep it cycling so I put in a 13w Led light rather then the 5w that I had there before...

However if it cycles power on and off then sadly your Transformer isn't large enough... If your using a 24vac Transformer you will want a 45va model and if your using a 16vac then you can get away with a 30va I know some people don't understand that the Higher the Volts don't mean the lower the VA someone can get away with it is sadly the other way around... However like most of Amcrest indoor cameras if it was running on 5vDC then it would need 2 amps or AKA 10va give or take
Be Safe.
tanm83

Post by tanm83 »

I am having this exact same problem. I have two doorbells wired to a mechanical chime. I was using one 16v 30a transformer, but have since added a second 16v 30a transformer thinking that was the problem due to it only happening at night when the IR lights are on. Still happening at night. Anyone else have an update? I love the doorbell otherwise, but this is unacceptable.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@tanm83 Hello and welcome to the Forum

Sorry to hear you are having some issues... Please note that the Min Requirements is a 16vac 30va Transformer... Also while I can't say that your issue is a faulty or miss marked transformer but there are many different issues that could lead to this more then a defective camera...

I really wish I was rich because I would go buy every door chime I could find new and old and setup some testing area for many different scenarios... While I know a lot about Electronics and I can give real world ideas if I can not prove it to show it to some they won't believe it... So then it leaves this to give a What I would do...

I would CHECK all wiring from the Transformer to the Doorbell and to the Camera area and make sure it is Large enough for the current draw that will be used... For me there is no way in my home I would use anything less then 18ga wiring to the chime, doorbell camera or between any... In some areas I would even elect to go up a size to 16ga.

So in a Case when the Camera is working at day time but having issues at night.. Next thing I would try and I know that everyone don't have the ability to use a 24vac 100VA Transformer but I would first connect up this transformer and see if that problem goes away.. I can tell you there is no issue that the Doorbell camera wouldn't have enough power from 4.17amps of power... If when connected to that transformer I would know if it didn't work at night that the camera is defective...
Next thing... If I didn't have a 100VA 24vac transformer I would then Remove the Chime for testing... I would take my Power supply to the Doorbell camera, set it up with the Chime box that it camera with connected to the back of the camera, and plug the power directly to the camera... Wait for it to power up and say Connected. Then I would test that the camera is working or not when the camera switches over to night vision... If the Camera is working in a Closed area like that then there is only 2 things left that it could be.. Wiring issue or Chime issue...

Very important to note

When these cameras are connected to your Doorbell unit there is no true complete path from the Power supply to the Doorbell camera other then what may or may not be coming though the doorbell winding and or the Amcrest Chime Box might be bridging the Gap as I don't know right now the true function of the Chime Box but that it is some type of Power Suppressor and that is only a guess...
Be Safe.
Airey001

Post by Airey001 »

So just a followup I finally got my RMA back today. Took a few weeks of going though support then the RMA process. I reinstalled the Door Bell and mad one change instead of using a 16v 30va i moved up to a 16v 48va (it can also do 24v 48va) transformer. I will let you know the results tomorrow. or latter tonight if i am on line.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sounds like a nice Transformer.. However so you know the 16vac at 48va (3amps) is more power then the 24vac at 48va (2Amps)... Yes I for the people that will try and Troll 24vac is more then 16vac but POWER 3amp vs 2amps big difference... Let me know if you would what Transformer it is.. I would like to pick one up for my Collection of power supplies...
Be Safe.
Airey001

Post by Airey001 »

This is what i got and yes i realize that the amps are different and i get more apps with the 16v which is why i chose the 16v when wireing it up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supco-T45-Cont ... 2749.l2649

And unfortunately with a band new AD110 and the new transformer i am stuck with the same issue. As soon as the IR comes on it starts going thought the cycles. I am going to run the same test i did before and have it run on a foot of wire directly connected to the transformer in the basement which is feet away from the wireless router. If i still get the issue like i did before i really think there is a design defect with this product. It also took a month to get though support and the rma process.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry about the RMA issue in TIme.. I hope with the issues in the world today people would understand a little that Staff at Amcrest right now is very limited and as the world re-opens things will get back up to par with Support issues...

About the Transformer.. When I look at the Picture it has LOADS of Voltage outputs values... Have you tested the Voltage to make sure it is 16vac? I am not sure as I didn't really look at the listing I just did a fast scan and saved to my Wish list... Anyway is there also multi inputs for the value of such.. I ask because I have posted on another page about a Transformer that I used to have I setup and sent a Friend to have for his setup... Didn't listen to my Instructions and hired someone to install the Transformer that didn't know what they were doing and removed 1 side of the setup that gives full 45va and ina since he had shut it down to 22.5va and after some time in video chat I seen the issue... SO I am wondering with all the Output voltages and all the crazyness this transformer you have has to offer I wonder if it mentions anything about?

About the Camera? So when you say that it is going through the Cycles? Do you mean that it is going offline and coming back online... Or do you mean that it is going on and off IR/B/W to Color?

If you have a Meter that has the ability to check the Amps I would set your meter up to check amps and test the current that is going on when you have your camera IR come on at night... To be Honest it could be hard for a Normal meter to do this test because of how long it takes to boot and switch and for testing in a normal meter you don't want to run the test for long time because it can burn out the meter... SO the best meter for this would be one with a Current Clamp There should be no way that the camera would take out more then 3amps that your new power supply can or says it can support?
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hummm Well I can't find anything on the Web in the way of an Install manual...

Looking over the website for the Product owner they don't even offer a Download of a manual... However something that I read on the front of the box kind of makes me wonder about something... Plus looking at the Wires that are going to and coming from the Transformer to me are suspect....

However that aside... On the box of the Ebay listing it says power will not exceed 2amps on any secondary output so I am going to guess that the issue is the current draw for your camera and the doorbell is over the 2amps on the current draw at night when the IR comes on...
Be Safe.