Very poor colors on ASH-43

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
user0001

Very poor colors on ASH-43

Post by user0001 »

Hello,
I have a farm with about a dozen Amcrest cameras.
Some (but not all) of them present very poor colors especially green.
Here are two photos to show the problem. Both taken at the same time.
The first is taken with the phones camera which shows the true colors. The second, more brown shows the Amcrest photo.
The Amcrest camera makes it look like the grass is all brown as if it's the middle of Winter when actually it's Spring here and everything is green.
The Amcrest camera also seems to have too many shadows and poorly lit places in the image.
The sky actually looks better in the Amcrest snapshot. So Blues seem to be good. It's just the greens (or maybe Reds?)
I have about 8 of the ASH43 cameras and only some of them do this while the others are fine.

If I try to adjust the hue the Amcrest camera becomes heavily green over green and looks like the Hulk color.
If I try to adjust the Saturation it just washes out and looks very un natural.

I have 8 of this exact same model camera all purchased this year. Some are perfect color and then there a 3 like this.
Maybe these cameras have bad CMOS lenses right from the factory?

Attachments
PhoneLakePicture_1.jpg
PhoneLakePicture_1.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 367 times
AmcrestLakePicture_1.jpg
AmcrestLakePicture_1.jpg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Very poor colors on ASH-43

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hard to say but with the ash line you are limited to what you can change in the cameras settings. I would pick one remove from any 3rd party hardware or software. Then do a factory reset and setup using Amcrest Smarthome app. Once setup see if color looks better then it did before reset. Then add back to the 3rd party product and see what one make camera go bad.

In the future buying an ip4m or ip line cameras would be better options. However if wifi is needed then ash products has more options. For only line of security I wouldn't use ash line.
Be Safe.
user0001

Post by user0001 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:58 am Hard to say but with the ash line you are limited to what you can change in the cameras settings. I would pick one remove from any 3rd party hardware or software. Then do a factory reset and setup using Amcrest Smarthome app. Once setup see if color looks better then it did before reset. Then add back to the 3rd party product and see what one make camera go bad.

In the future buying an ip4m or ip line cameras would be better options. However if wifi is needed then ash products has more options. For only line of security I wouldn't use ash line.
Thank you.
I agree. Amazon delivery drivers use wifi jammers all the time to block recording them while they are delivering. Thieves use them also. Not sure if there is a correlation yet.
Fortunately, I have POE cameras as well and they ALWAYS record everything.

Regards
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So here is something I would try.

Adjust the position of the camera down more so it is picking up less of the sky. Also double check the Smart Home app and see if there is something in the settings that is WDR. If it is enabled disable it. Don't use any 3rd party hardware or software to make changes in the ASH line of cameras as they can tend to break them. What ever is offered in the Smart Home app for the camera it should be safe to use for the adjustments.

If you look at the skyline between the 2 cameras pictures the ASH is higher in the sky and I think less wasted picture would be better to catch what security cameras were designed to catch bad actors or general nature.. I know looking at the sky is nice but is really a waste for a CCTV camera. I have some that are placed in bad sky area as well. However because of location and not being easy to adjust it I leave it how it is positioned and deal with quality issues of the cameras picture. Plus it gives me a reason not to like the camera and blame it on being a older 8mp lol rather then just bad placement..
Be Safe.
user0001

Post by user0001 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:08 pm So here is something I would try.

Adjust the position of the camera down more so it is picking up less of the sky. Also double check the Smart Home app and see if there is something in the settings that is WDR. If it is enabled disable it. Don't use any 3rd party hardware or software to make changes in the ASH line of cameras as they can tend to break them. What ever is offered in the Smart Home app for the camera it should be safe to use for the adjustments.

If you look at the skyline between the 2 cameras pictures the ASH is higher in the sky and I think less wasted picture would be better to catch what security cameras were designed to catch bad actors or general nature.. I know looking at the sky is nice but is really a waste for a CCTV camera. I have some that are placed in bad sky area as well. However because of location and not being easy to adjust it I leave it how it is positioned and deal with quality issues of the cameras picture. Plus it gives me a reason not to like the camera and blame it on being a older 8mp lol rather then just bad placement..

The camera is to hopefully see the hawks and other winged predators that keep circling over the pond and taking my fish so I can go out there before they swoop down. I might actually need to see a bit more sky.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So with that said there is a few things I would look into doing with your camera. 1 I would move it from under the eve I would mount it above any thing that will obstruct the FOV.. One of the things with your camera *Amcrest* is that it has a wider FOV then your phone camera so there is a lot to take in. Next the quality of camera really matters if you are looking to get some great pictures of what is going on. I would look into do a Factory Reset and setup with Smart Home app and see if the Image quality clears up. Once all setup test to what ever 3rd party product you are using to see if that might have some type of adjustment that has caused your camera to give off some strange color tones..

Another thing I would think about is maybe getting a PTZ camera and install it on a parapet for best results. One with 360 pan would be best bet. Right now you are looking at an area of view of about 127 to maybe 142 degree that might not be in the direction of the Predator. Just a guess but your view is nice wide angle. I did make a video that I have Public on my youtube. While it don't really show much about the pan or Tilt of the camera it does show zoomed in format and quality of picture between the 3 PTZ cameras. 1 is much older 2mp 20x zoom Amcrest, the other is 25x 4mp with much newer sensor and then a low budget 5mp 20x that personally would be good for a first timer but not someone that wants/likes a quality PTZ camera.. Quality of picture from the Amcrest is hard to beat, Sure the 4mp 25x is just as good quality camera the cost is also very high over the others.. If you are interested in looking at the Video, I do zoom out to show the location of the camera in relation of the zoomed in FOV.
https://youtu.be/fEimKwha87I

The main reason for the PTZ camera is so you can locate or find the Predator area of attack so you can keep the best eye out. Load speaker system is great way to keep them away. Only issue have to monitor full time and fast on the trigger of the switch.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Seen this landing while I was looking at a tower for the fun of it lol.. Thought I would capture a screenshot. By the way that plane is over 8 miles away and that zoom as you can see bottom right is at 14.35x zoom.. I didn't take full picture from WebU that would have been 4mp as it is only a screen shot of the screen in view.. To see the picture best, Right click and open in a new tab and it will show full size picture for better quality..
Screenshot (1887).png
Screenshot (1887).png (858.95 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Set up a good one and compare each of the bad ones side-by-side to it one at a time. If they exhibit the poor color by comparison as described, hopefully they are still under warranty and can be replaced without issue.

Good luck with Amcrest support.