Splice to extension cord?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Nero

Splice to extension cord?

Post by Nero »

Was looking at getting a ASH26-W, its an outdoor floodlight with camera, and was wondering if I could splice the thing into an extension cord without any problem. The power specs are https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=272. Thanks in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Splice to extension cord?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I am not sure that your going to find anyone that is going to be willing to tell you to Break the NEC rules and say that you should power a ASH26 in a manor that could make things messy for someone.

I am going to guess in truth, If your trying to power this light in an area that would need to be accessed with an Extension cord your not going to be very happy to find out that your Wifi isn't going to keep a good connection.

NEC changes every so many years and in 2014 one of the updates was added in a NEC 400.8(1) no Extension cord should be used in the place of Permanent wiring.. Something to the fact anything powered with an Extension cord for longer then 30 days Permanent wiring needs to be used..

TO be honest there is just to many factors that make this idea bad if someone don't know what they are doing..

When in doubt hire a Electrician
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe